Have you used softboxes with canon ex flashes

Discussion in 'Lighting Equipment' started by tudor_apmadoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Just wanted to know if anyone here has had experience using Canon Ex flashes with softboxes - used off camera.
    I have a pair of 600ex rt flashes and the remote trigger. I want to see what kind of set up, recommendations in terms of softboxes, stands, etc.
    Thanks in advance!

2. There are softboxes, and there are softboxes. Are you talking full-length portraiture, or table-top product shots? Depending on the shooting circumstances (relative to the ambient light and how much flash power you need) a hot-shoe flash can get quickly gobbled up by the losses in a softbox, especially a larger one.

There are lots of rigs out there, though. Photoflex, Lastolite and others make assemblies that will hold one or multiple hot-shoe flashes in a speed ring to which a softbox will mount. I've used the 2-foot Lastolites with a single speedlight with good success, provided the composition lends itself to that relatively modest power.

Scroll down this thread for some visuals.

3. I agree with the statement "There are softboxes, and there are softboxes"
    You get what you pay for in this area. The shape, the lining and the diffuser(s) have a lot to do with the results.
    My research found you can not just hack any shape into a box and get results. (i.e. , offshore import knockoffs)
    Luckily, I ended up with a Larson Soffbox, and a DIY bracket that does not risk damage to the foot of the flash.
    The DIY is detailed here - http://www.sweetmk.com/2012/12/diy-how-to-mount-speedlight-to-a-softbox/
    Sometimes you get great results with DIY, I did!

4. Fitting a conventional rear-entry large softbox to a small hotshoe speedlite doesn't work too well. There's just not enough spread of light, even with the flash set to its 24mm coverage position. Front aperture umbrella style softboxes work much better, since the light has to bounce off the internal silvering before being reflected out of the diffuser.

5. I don't know, I attended a Canon Seminar a couple of years ago where they were demonstaring the 580EX( the 600ex had not ome out yet) with very large softboxes. I'm talking about full body length soft-boxes. The pictures where then relayed on a large screen for the audience. I did not see any problems with the pictures...

6. I don't know, I attended a Canon Seminar a couple of years ago where they were demonstaring the 580EX( the 600ex had not ome out yet) with very large softboxes. I'm talking about full body length soft-boxes. The pictures where then relayed on a large screen for the audience. I did not see any problems with the pictures...

7. Demos... yes, well. I recently saw a demo of a monster parabolic reflector, where the flash head was set so close to the para that it only illuminated about 1/2 its diameter, if that. The pictures looked alright on the TV screen that was being used to show the result, but they'd still wasted more than half the area of that reflector.

8. I use three softboxes (AKA light banks) regularly with Canon Speedlights

A Chimera SuperPRO XS (16x24 inch front)

A Chinera Octa 2 24-inch beauty dish.

A LightwareDirect 30x30 inch Foursquare.

Depending on the needs of the shot with the Chimera Light Banks I use either one or two Speedlites in them. In the
    LightwareDirect Foursquare I can but rarely do use up to four Speedlites.Again depending on the shot I am working on I'll
    either use the Speedlites in manual or E-TTL mode, mostly E-TTL.

Mostly I use my Speedlites as off camera lights. I trigger them one of two ways. The first way is the most direct: The
    "master" Speedlite is connected to the camera via a 33ft. Ocfgear.com cable and set the other Speedlites into remote or
    slave mode. Works great and the cable is a lot simpler, easier to implement, and cheaper than a wireless solution.

The second method is wireless control of the Speedlites using the Pocketwizard ControlTL system. It is very reliable and
    let's me move all of my lights more than 30 feet from the camera. The downside is that each flash, even if they are
    mounted right next to each other, needs its own TT5 Flex Transceiver and they aren't cheap. I use Pocketwizard because
    this is how I make my living so I need the reliability. The Radiopopper systems work well too but require one of the
    flashes to be on the camera as and be the master.

Someone will ask why combine Speedlites in softbox instead using a more powerful monolight. The reasons are simple: the E-TTL option, I don't need AC or a large external battery to power them, and I can either combine the lights or use them as seperate light sources. I also own and use monolights and pack & head systems. There is a time and place for both small and big flash.

I use Chimera Light Banks instead of cheaper knockoff lookalikes because of the quality of the materials and the quality of the construction.

9. Out of curiosity, what does your mount look like for four speedlights into a softbox?

10. See http://lightwaredirect.com/