Have you try convert color into black and white ?

Due to chemical hazard concern, I stopped to develop my own

black/white film. Now I am using color film and for black white I

convert color into black and white in the Photoshop. I have shown my

11x14 to 16x20 converted BW print to people, quality is very

acceptable. What is your experience? Would you mind share your

tricks how to make these converted BW look better?<div>00EYqC-27046584.jpg.06d3c594c96359dde43803a817c72904.jpg</div>

Some of the conversions I've liked most have been those done with <a href=http://www.theimagingfactory.com/data/pages/info/cbwp/cbwp.htm>Convert to BW Pro</a>, a downloadable software program I don't yet have but one which I believe several forumers do use. You might also peek at the Digital Darkroom Forum on photo.net, where this has been discussed as well.

B&W photo chemicals are safer than most household cleansers. Chlorine bleach is a lot more dangerous. All you have to do is use them responsibly. Kodak's XTOL was designed to be particularly safe and environmentally friendly, and it's a great developer to boot.

Color negative films are nice. They can scan well. But they cannot record as wide a brightness range as B&W film can. So you do lose something.

Good photography has a lot to do with your darkroom work, wet, or digital.

I use the channel mixer. It gives me great tonal control and variation. I generally mix red and green paying close attention to whether I have blocked or blown and values while trying to attain good separation. Then, I go straight to dodging and burning (using either selections, or the good old fashioned brushes). You just cannot beat D+B for maximum control and expression!

In this example I used an 70/30 red green mix to make sure I kept the highlights in control. Then I quickly dodged and burned to get what I felt was the best tonal separation in various areas.

Dan,

You didn't mention which method you used to convert color to BW.

Here is the Russell Brown method which has been used and mentioned many times in these forums.

http://www.adobe.com/tips/phs8colorbw/main.html

I use the Channel Mixture method, too. This is akin to placing the many color filters available in front of your lens when shooting BW films.

Good luck.

Roger

channel mixing. level. curve. mask...great recipe for professional BW. And the best thing, its

free with your copy of CS! no need of funky filter. just learn how do work with Photoshop you

can do ANYTHING. By the way, your BW are good, a bit more of work can be needed, but you

are on the right track. whatever the method you use.

Thanks

I just desaturated adjust curve I have not do channel mix et al, well graduately learn more. I will print it out. most of time I order from Adorama in NYC, I plan to buy a set of scanner and ptinter. I have an old Nikon LS1000, good for 11x14. anyone use Microteck i800? I need a flat bed for my 4x5 slides may be a Epson?