Have you had much inflation with your photo staples?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by invisibleflash, Aug 3, 2021.

1. BTW, the so-called Consumer Price Index is a load of BS and always has been. A basket of depreciating commodities designed to hide real inflation. They tell me my home is worth 27% more now than a year ago.

2. I use manual hand scissors, go very slowly, and do a decent job. Saves money and exposure. I've made a few minor mistakes which bother me but probably nobody else notices. The back is the hardest, but I like a challenge and have always been a bit backwards anyway. Besides, I don't have to look at it!

3. Sam, I didn't start this thread. It asks the question of how inflation is affecting the cost of photography. I was adding my knowledge and understanding about it. Inflation affects everyone, especially on fixed incomes. Obviously, it hurts those who are making the least. I'm defending those people by complaining that government printing is hurting them the most. Sure, God's been good to me especially after having a triple bypass a couple of years ago. I suppose you're right, I shouldn't complain. I'm still able to shoot a camera. But everyone complains about higher prices.

4. As society becomes filled with more and more idiots, doing what everyone else does may not be the best idea.
    Did I say you did? I was responding to your participation in it.
    Early on, you made it sound quite personal, as if inflation was not only threatening the cost of your hobby, but as if it was about to affect whether you could put food on the table.
    No. Get over this one. A person on a “fixed income” of $70,000 a year is first of all likely to get cost-of-living increases each year (though those increases might not always keep up with inflation) and second of all less affected by inflation than a person making $15.00 an hour, getting $0.25 raises regularly every year.
    I won’t address whether I think you’re “defending those people” or not. I will point out that you’re not complaining about what’s hurting them but about what you think may hurt them going forward. The last is key because it’s mostly in your head and mostly a political rather than empathetic talking point.

5. Sylvia Porter, the ex-financial advisor for the NY Post newspaper for decades, was once asked how much people want to earn. She said that it is very interesting. She asked this question of postmen, teachers, laborers, garbage collectors, engineers, dentists, doctors, and others across the financial income scale in all parts of the country.

Almost everyone said they would like to see about 10% more than they're earning now. It appears that people spend up to their income feeling pressured and feel another 10% would get them over the top.

6. Sylvia Porter’s been dead for 30 years. Maybe there’s an update on those observations. Regardless, I wouldn’t necessarily draw the same conclusion as you, about all these folks feeling pressure. I don’t feel very pressured financially at all yet, depending on how the question was asked, I could see myself saying I’d appreciate 10% more.

The “pressure” one feels about supposed photo inflation, especially for a hobbyist, versus other financial pressures is significant.

Likewise, the financial pressure on most teachers and laborers compared to that of most dentists and doctors is significantly different, even if they’d all like 10% more.

7. How do you know? Did you do a survey? If you're a dentist paying for a million-dollar house and just broke your leg and can't work, or your partner started his own practice and took most of your clients, you're also worried about financial problems. You're just at a different level. But the fear is similar.

8. This is where some combination of reason and empathy would be a very helpful quality to develop. Only then might one realize the difference in the kind of fear a person would experience when their Mercedes gets scratched versus the fear of going to bed hungry at night.

Besides which, we were talking about fear of inflation, not fear of a debilitating injury.

Nevertheless, if I had to choose, I’d say the dentist with the valuable house, who obviously would have both medical insurance and business interruption insurance, would be experiencing a very different kind and degree of fear than the day laborer living paycheck to paycheck.

This was a telling and bad one, Alan.

Robin Smith likes this.
  9. BS. Not similar at all. The fear of possibly having to move into a less than million dollar house is not comparable to the fear of losing income if you're earning $15 or $20/hour--or less, in right-wing states--and don't know how you'll feed your kids. Or not being able to find a decent place to live that one can afford to begin with.

Robin Smith likes this.
  10. People - rich or poor - who put the trust in money rather than God suffer from the same fate of worry. Interesting on the back of every US bill is the aphorism: In God We Trust.

I agree that inflation effects the poor more than the rich. What's interesting is the politicians continue to push printing and spending to help the poor when it is that very act that makes it harder for them in the end as the necessities of life -food, shelter, etc. - are effected the most with higher prices.

11. Who said anything about putting one's trust in money.

We're talking about using money to buy things, sometimes buying necessities like food and clothing in order to live. I doubt God would mind that.

I'd also offer that people who put their trust in God are no better or worse off than people who put their trust in money. Trust, especially when misplaced or placed in a fantasy, can lead one astray.

12. Yes. In a crazy sort of way, it makes sense, since "religion" is so often more about money than faith. That God, in this way and by our society, is associated with a commodity like money is filled with irony and not a small degree of hard truth.

13. indivisable-copy-2.jpg
    E PLURIBUS UNUM

14. As Wikipedia reports, this motto wasn't adopted until about 50 years ago. Seems pretty clear that it violates the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

15. The wiki article I read said that although there has been no direct ruling, it appears the Supreme Court doesn't seem to have any issue with it. Its been challenged many times and never overthrown.
    In God We Trust - Wikipedia

16. Presumbly because it specifies no particular god, although it leaves pantheists in the lurch. However, it doesn't seem secular to me. I don't trust in god as I am an atheist. No Presidential candidate professes openly to be a Christian unbeliever, even those who are obviously not.

17. So... had you noticed great inflation in your photo staples prices?

18. I'm always looking for a way to cut expenses in photography. Film plus darkroom can be relatively inexpensive for a hobby or a huge money pit. I keep it on the affordable side.