Have you had an 'err' message with the D800?

elliot1

<p>I have had it the error 3 time recently (twice yesterday) with the 70-200mm VRII lens. The mirror seems to go up and stay there, and then I get the 'err' message. It sounds almost like the sound the camera makes is going into live view. All functions on the camera until I turn it off and then back on again. The camera functions normally after the reset.</p>

<p>I have only been using the 70-200mm lately. I did wiggle the lens a but it does not seem to be the problem. I have two batteries and it has done it with both.</p>

<p>I have also noticed dropped frames on two occasions - on two occasions, I have taken a burst of 3-5 shots and one time, only 1 recorded, the 2nd time none recorded.</p>

<p>I guess I am going to have to send the body in for service.</p>

<p>If this problem keeps on happening with a particular lens, and you decide to send it to Nikon to check, I would suggest sending both the D800 body and the lens. The camera body could be just half of the equation. If Nikon does not also have the lens, it may be very difficult to figure out the cause.</p>

<p>I used the camera today with a different lens and had the same issue (dropping frames).</p>

<p>Earlier in the day, I got the err message and decided not to resent the camera until I could take a picture of the display to send in with the camera. Oddly, within a few minutes, the error message disappeared and the camera functioned normally.</p>

<p>Hi, this may help. I had the same type of message (flashing Err) on a D600 just a few days after buying the camera. Started by just one message on the second or third day, once in a while on the next day, on almost every shot on the following day. The mirror goes up and stays there, the diaphragm closes more than expected (seems f11 or f16 when only f1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0 is selected in A or M mode) and the camera freezes. Tried with 3 different Nikkor lenses which worked fine on other Nikon cameras, with different approved memory cards, with a recharged battery, and it is always the same. When leaving the camera for a few hours starts again normally even shooting in continuous high-speed. Generally happens after playing with the menus, including the retouch menu. It seems some kind of malfunction due to overheating. Returned the camera. Maybe I was lucky but except for a F4 that needed repair after intense abuse, working in 90% humidity conditions during several months and falling on a sulphurous mud, I never run into problems with the Nikon cameras I had (not many I must say). What happened to Nikon?</p>