Have we heard from our shooter in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by neil_swanson, Aug 31, 2005.

1. I can think of Mike Dixon, Dennis Couvilio (sp). Have we heard from
    them? The mess there just floors me, leaves me speechless.

2. jtk

jtk

Seemingly serious question on CNN this AM involving the talkingheadbabe and the helicoptervideoguy, high above New Orleans: "...should we pull everybody out?...it's getting dangerous!"

Why am I remembering Robert Capa?

3. As I posted earlier, Dennis showed up on my "buddy list" and we briefly instant messaged this morning. He and his family were evacuated and are fine. They're planning on staying with relatives for awhile.

4. >>>In a message dated 8/31/2005 7:10:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, couvilaw writes:
    What really bothers me, among many things at the moment, is that I may have lost ALL of my negatives... years and years of negatives.<<<

If that's Dennis's main concern he must be healthy and safe!

5. That's both good and bad news from Dennis. He may have lost all his negatives? Sad, very
    sad. Let's hope for the best.

6. Maybe he has an off-site backup.

7. Neil - As I recall, Mike Dixon is over in Korea or somewhere in Asia right now. Also, while here in the states he was known to reside in Nashville for the most part.

While Al can account for Dennis C, has anyone heard from John Fleetwood? (Hope I have his name right!)

8. "Seemingly serious question on CNN this AM involving the talkingheadbabe and the helicoptervideoguy..."

And this pm, from a blowdrydude, something like: "People shouldn't go to the Superdome, they should head west on the I-10. If you go far enough you'll get to Los Angeles."

I really wish there was something better to do than donating money. I realize it's the best thing to do but it's unsatisfying, somehow. Too impersonal, I guess.

9. Right, Mike Dixon is Nashville. I agree on feeling that money isn't enough despite they need it. I'm sure we'll all have local drives for cloths/shoes etc to be shipped down there. Can you imagine how it must feel? Today when I went to work, just on me at that moment I had "more" of whatever than 10s of thousands. A house, a job, a car and some future that I at least think is solid. Yeah they need more than money.

10. money is a good start, however.

11. "I really wish there was something better to do than donating money. I realize it's the best thing to do but it's unsatisfying, somehow. Too impersonal, I guess."

My church (The Episcopal Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast) is making arrangements for families to be relocated to homes where there is room for up to several months. We're hoping to find temporary work for the parents and get the children in local schools until they have something to go back to. If you're interested email me at ywdprice at yahoo dot com

12. Will - I agree. Money doesn't seem to be enough, but as Skeeter points out, it is needed.

If a person is searching for organizations this non-profit clearinghouse, www.Networkforgood.org (here), has a nice list of non-profits in the area that can help. I have linked directly to the hurricane relief page. One of the more interesting features is that by clicking on a non-profit's name you can see their financial charts and see what percentage of donations actually go to the cause. There are groups here of which I wasn't aware. While there's nothing wrong with the American Red Cross, sometimes it's nice to have choices!

Help as your heart leads you to do.

13. I am glued to the TV news and growing angry. The coverage is pathetic -- they mainly show looting and personal stories. Nobody is asking tough questions and clearly, help is getting there late! Only now Larry King asked if there was more we could have done before Katrina hit the Gulf. New Orleans and Louisiana lef their poor, old, sick and disabled behind. Did you see the pictures? Almost all the people left behind are black Americans. And nobody asks if there was any transportation provided for these who couldn't afford to get out? Were there any destinations with shelters listed for those who had no resources to afford a hotel or no family to take them in. If the evacuation was mandatory, why nobody enforced it? How could 80 year old, lonely, sick woman get out on her own? They knew days ahead this is going to be the biggest hurricane ever. Are we a third world country? I'm sorry but I am so angry right now. Here are some photographs from Washington Post -- click on the image to get to the gallery.

14. opc

opc

Maria, it is physically impossible to get that many people out. Most people who stayed chose to stay. The city has been concerned about those who can't leave on their own. The problem is the warning that this is the one did not come til late friday night and early saturday. It was forcast to go to the Florida panhandle. Most hurricanes do not have a such a wide swath of destruction. It is usually limited to 30 to 50 miles wide, The mayor called a mandatory evacuation for the first time in the city's history. But there is no way to enforce it. There are 500,000 people in the city with 1.4 million in the metro area. This is the first storm I did not stay and ride out. I dont know why but my gut said get out. New Orleans is 70% african american. What you are not seeing are the people stranded in the surrounding parishes. The national media is focusing on a very small part of the metro area.

15. I don't buy it, Olivier -- all the white folks got out. And the ones left behind are black, old, sick and poor. It's a shame.

16. As impersonal as it is, money is the best donation. Used clothes have to be cleaned, packaged, then shipped -- and what roads there are will be needed to transport essentials, heavy earthmoving equipment, etc. Then the headache of sorting and distributing. Same with canned food.
    The areas on the fringe of the devastation can use an economic boost -- relief spending in those locations will help. Money can be targeted at specific needs, sent and distributed quickly and easily without clogging the roads. A friend in India after the tsunami reported bales and bales of donated clothes, abandoned by the roadsides, getting in the way. Click here for more details -- this is regarding aid to foreign disasters, but it's all the same.
    I agree with the sentiment, I'd love to do something personal to help, but money has the greatest flexibility.

17. "I am glued to the TV news and growing angry"

Maria...Try turning you TV off and getting you feet wet and your hands dirty...It'll change your perspective.

18. that's a silly thing to say, David. As much as I'd like to get my hands dirty, I'm the last person you need down there right now. And yes, I sent the money already.

19. Just sent a C to Sally. It will provide four meals for a family of four plus a kit of clean-up materials. Wife and I spend more than that every week eating out because we just don't want tp cook -- so we hope to put continuing donations in our budget. Wish we could do more but at four score options are limited to generosity and prayer. I saw how Sally operated in Alaska in '64 and in '67 they bailed me out in Fairbanks. They cannot use donations in kind at this time because of storage problems. Red cross does a good job too. Give what you can, you'll feel better for it.

20. Just three weeks ago, La Forice Nealy, a manager in disaster and emergency actions here in Chicago for the American Red Cross guest lectured in my graduate Administration of Non-Profit Organizations class. He told us what Matt just wrote. It's too difficult to deliver clothing and goods in proper sizes etc. or food that can't be prepared or is the wrong type and that what emergency agencies need is money they can give to people to take care of whatever they need urgently and critically. (Side note: He also told us the ARC uses only 17 cents out of any dollar for administration.)

Mayor Daley has asked Chicagoans to send $100 to any relief agency. This is a good city and I expect there will be a good response. On the news tonight they showed an overlay map of New Orleans in outline and if that happened here, it would cover 56% of Chicago. Graphics are a real eye-opener.

I can hardly breathe I am so disturbed by what they are all going through and will go through.

Photographically, I find the still shots they've shown to be more powerful than the video clips.
    Conni

21. Dennis lost all his negatives? That's HORRIBLE luck!
    I lost hundreds of NYC and Colombia negs in a basement flood in Vancouver in l972 and I still haven't gotten over it! He's a good egg, [to quote Roberto Benigno], and a good photog, as obsessed with the craft as any of us, and we all should be pulling for him.

I hope Mike Dixon hasn't suffered the same fate.

22. I couldn't imagine something as desatrous as that hapening in the western world. I barely remember a storm and flood in northwestern germany in 1962, I was 2 1/2 then. I still have the sound of the wind in my head and how my father carried me over to my grandparents and then left me.
    He went out to defend the dyke with most other able bodied males.
    Here in Bremen we weren't hit very hard, flooded cellars broken trees and smashed windows, but some 60 miles north Hamburg was left with some 30,000 injured, 660 dead and more than 100,000 with destroyed homes.

Omly after that event the early warning system was improved and the dykes at the rivers reinforced.

Homeowners here pay a dyke tax and it's allways tragedies like this which remind me that not all taxes are a bad thing :-(
    Due to the rising sea and flood levels, our dykes had to be reinforced and heighthend recently and we're some 60 miles from the northsea.

23. Re: ...The mess there just floors me, leaves me speechless.

What - Iraq? Yeah a total mess - leaves me shocked and awed :0

24. "...the ones left behind are black, old, sick and poor. It's a shame."

David Brooks, not someone ever accused of being a radical libersl, makes the same point in the NY Times. There's going to be lots of political fall-out from this.

Yes, money is the best thing to give, the logistical systems to handle "stuff" from the public aren't in place yet and the people at the other end have no place to put it even if they got it right now.

25. blame, political fallout? Why do people focus anger against others when these horrible events happen. There really was no place for these folks to go, no way to move them and many wouldn't have left anyway. All our energies, now, need to be conciliatory and working as a group to help. Blame here serves no purpose. If you read the papers, the spirit of New Orleans, The Big Easy, always has been the worst would never happen.... and that contributes to the culture and lifestyle there.

26. "Why do people focus anger against others when these horrible events happen?"

Because humans are humans, or more accurately, chimps with the capacity for self-delusion. There's nothing new about the various reactions to any of this latest disaster.

The civil engineering and weather experts knew and said this was going to happen sooner or later, and the political experts bet on later, with later defined as being "Not during my time in office".

Some of them inevitably will be wrong and those are going to take the heat for it, just as some of their predecessors took the heat for disasters on their watch.

27. Humans are definitely more human than chimp.

28. Remember 2004 Tsunami in Asia? this is not even close to that catasthrophy.

29. One comment on cable news this morning should not be missed: "The new
    levee walls were only rated for a Category 3 storm."

If true, some short-sighted city planning here contributed to this huge,
    enduring tragedy unfolding before all our eyes.

Get out your checkbook and write a big check to whatever relief agency you
    favor. Absent a preference, we could all send something to the America Red
    Cross.

30. "New Orleans and Louisiana lef(t) their poor, old, sick and disabled behind. Did you see the pictures? Almost all the people left behind are black Americans."

New Orleans' population is majority black. That would account for how many black people you see being rescued.

I'm angry too. I'm so angry right now I could bite nails in half. There are people dead or dying along the Gulf Coast and people are wasting their time playing the blame game.

I live in Louisiana and I know people who were affected. I was here before the TV cameras and the pretty faces of network news reports showed up. Before this storm hit, the mayor of New Orleans, the governor of Louisiana, the Parish officials and everyone with any authority were on television begging people to leave. Mayor Nagin even issued a mandatory evacuation in hopes of trying to get the population prepared for what was coming. Most left.

While it's true many of those who stayed were sick and old and most were poor, many were not. But that's totally beside the point. The point being, there's not a helluva lot could be done other than what was done.

Right now, there are refugees all over Louisiana and East Texas and I'm sure there are also many in other nearby states. There are people with nothing left that need help. These are the people who left early and the people who had to be carried out. There are still people in flooded New Orleans that rescue personnel are risking their lives to try and get out of harm's way. Everyone should stop playing "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and help in any way they can.

Shelters are set up all over the place run by the Red Cross, churches and individuals. One of the local Red Cross shelters even suspended their policy of not allowing pets due to the number of people without a place to go who could only save the family dog, cat or parakeet. These shelters need everything from cots, bedding and clothing to animal food. They could use your help.

Helping is better than hand-wringing.

31. "Remember 2004 Tsunami in Asia? this is not even close to that catasthrophy". . . So! <p> "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

32. Maria...Try turning you TV off and getting you feet wet and your hands dirty...It'll change your perspective
    Said the kettle to the pot. And just what exactly have you been doing, oh righteous one?

33. m_.

m_.

for those who feel powerless to help, here is a good start by providing free housing for the victims.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/?id=5947-3144527-bTjU8Ea9yS7qJPF7KVAeXQ

34. See today's Tony Zambado report on the Convention Center in New Orleans. We sent thousands of people, heavy equipment, planes, ships, food, water, medicine & doctors, engineers etc. to places as remote as Afghanistan or to Iraq but we are not able to help our own people?

35. "o rightous one" speaks

By checking all the local motels we have now determined that we have 298 refugees in our little town. As of tonight we have set up temporary shelters for all of them in our local churches. We think about half of them will eventually be placed with relatives. We are looking for semi-permenant homes for the others. They will need someone to feed and house them and help them find temporary work and school for their children. So far we have found homes for eleven elderly folks in an apartment project sponsered by a church charity. We still have single people, couples, families ranging in size from three to five, and one extended family of 24 who are hoping to stay together. Hopefully we can place most of these folks locally but if any of you photogs out there have an extra bedroom let me know. We have one family from North Dakota who has offered to take a family in but thats a long bus ride.

36. W David, you got mail.

37. m_.

m_.

understand everyone is rushing to donate what we have for the Katrina victims. but watch out if you choose to donate through FEMA. part of your money, if not all, will go to Pat Robertson's organization. Now, that's "double whamy" (as GWB commented when meeting a widow of 911, the date also their anniversary - talking about an idiot in power...).

check this:

http://www.sploid.com/news/2005/09/01/fema-directing-donations-to-rev-pat-robertson-123509.php

38. Though you won't find me cheering on Pat Robertson during this lifetime, WenTong's statement is not quite correct.
    One doesn't donate funds "through" FEMA. FEMA is part of the federal government, funded by tax dollars. It's not a charitable organization. On it's website, FEMA does list a number of charities accepting donations to help those who've been in the hurricane/flood zone. Among those listed is Robertson's. Many others listed there also reflect religious affiliations.
    You can review the list, and you can select from among the organizations, or choose another if you prefer. The FEMA page also cautions would-be contributors to be alert to the possibility of fraud, and properly so. It's certainly not unheard of under these circumstances.
    The FEMA page is found here .

39. My wife, family, and I are fine. Ann and I left NOLA Sunday morning for my sister's house in Baton Rouge. After the storm, more family refugees started showing up, putting a strain on the Baton Rouge haven, which had no electricity. We are in Cedar`Rapids, Iowa, now. I heard a report that my house sustained minor damage, but I guess it will be 4 - 6 months before we can get back there. My darkroom, negatives, most of my camera gear, computer stuff, car are still there, but that's just stuff. That stuff just slows you down in the long run.
    Quit arguing about what went wrong in New Orleans, you and I are as much to blame as anyone else. Think about it honestly.
    My fellow refugee Tom just told me that he expects one hell of a Mardi Gras next year.

40. John, glad to hear you and Ann are safe. E-mail me if you can.

I understand our house originally withstood the passing of the hurricane... but then the 17th Street Canal, which is just a few blocks from our home, burst. Now, to the best of our information our house is in about 15 to 20 feet of water. Stupidly, I expected to be back home in a few days and took very, very little with me when we left Sunday, except my dogs. The cats stayed inside and now I'm afraid they have perished... or at least they will before we can get back to them. I, too, have heard that it may be months before we can return. Just about every possession I have is under water and I'm stuck in a hotel in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Oh... and I can't find my brothers who live on the North shore... one of them elected to stay.

Otherwise, life is great... ;>)

Thanks to all of you who expressed concern about my whereabouts...

41. Dennis,

Glad to here you made it out. Sorry about your home and cats. Cats can live months without food so they may still be okay. Let's hope.

We're in Lakeland, FL right now with family.

My email address is on my website www.zoeicaimages.com

Chris Williams
    New Orleans

42. EricM

EricM Planet Eric

regardless of our little tit-for-tat spats here, i still must wish you the best of luck, Dennis. please keep us updated.

43. Sent you another e-mail, Dennis, but with server/isp problems, etc., I'm not sure when you'll see it. Other e-mails I've sent to folks from New Orleans have bounced back.

Very difficult time for those on the Gulf Coast. Your photography buddies are thinking about you.

44. Good to see you doing fairly well Dennis, considering..

45. If anyone wants to do something to help photographers in New Orleans...

Please see my post in the Wedding Forum.

So far, $12,000 has been raised by photographers (some from photo.net)
    that will go directly to photographers in the area. 100% of money donated goes to them.

A charity was formed by:

Albums Inc., Amphoto Books/Watson-Guptill Publications, Art Leather, Asuka Book, Auto FX Software, BIG Folio, Blossom Publishing, Blue Skies Marketing, Buckeye Color Lab, DWF (Digital Wedding Forum), DxO Labs, Epson, garyfongestore.com, GNP (Gross National Product), H&H Color Lab, Hahnemuhle USA, Hallmark Institute of Photography, Hasselblad, Kodak, Kubota Image Tools, LabPrints, Leaf America, LexJet, Marathon Press, Media Street, Miller?s Professional Imaging, nik multimedia, Nikon, PDIA (Professional Digital Imaging Association), Phanfare, Photovision, PMA (Photo Marketing Association International), Rangefinder Publishing, S.I.R. Marketing Communications, The Chilcote Company, The MAC Group, VPO (Virtual Press Office), WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International), and Zookbinders.

Photographers will be asked to fill out an application and donations will be based on need.

46. glas u're ok Dennis/John.