Hasselblad V lenses on Pentax 67

stanislav_shmelev

<p>The regular Pentax 6X7/67 lenses do not have shutters and are very reasonably priced now. If you need leaf shutters for flash synch purposes Pentax has some of those too. For rectangular prints and especially for the standard sizes like 8X10, 11X14 and 16X20, you are not likely to see much if any image quality difference by using the Hasselblad's lenses. My 6X7 SLR cameras are Bronica GS-1s and Mamiya RBs and they provide excellent image quality if used properly. They also still cost much less than comparabe Hasselblad equipment. If you must use the 6X7 format then get a camera you can afford lenses for.</p>

It's not just light loss, beyond the substantial 10mm difference noted above you'd add the depth of the adapter and you

will be limited to very, very close focusing distances even with shorter focal length lenses set to infinity. Also you likely

would not cover the entire 6x7cm frame.

I've done extensive shooting with both the SMC Takumars for the Pentax 67 and the Hasselblad cameras and the

Takumars are every bit as good as the Zeiss CF lenses.

Chauncey: you are close: you can use Pentax 67 lenses via an adapter on the Pentax 645 cameras but not vice-versa.

<p>I do not know of any adapter made to put Hasselblad lenses on a Pentax 6x7, but I'm sure there are some custom ones out there. The problem is that the len register distance and mount geometry does not allow a Hasselblad lens to focus to infinity on a Pentax 6x7, and thus you can only use it for close-up work.</p>

<p>However, the mirror in a Pentax 6x7 will clear a Hasselblad lens focused at infinity if you could physically mount the lens that far into the Pentax.</p>

<p>There is a machine shop in Hong Kong that has been modifying Pentax 6x7s with a Hasselblad mount - physically removing the Pentax bayonet mount, machining the body and fitting a Hasselblad bayonet. The Hasselblad lenses can cover the 6x7 format for the most part, but you must use stop-down techniques. There are currently 3 of these on that auction site (ie: item # 190984385502).</p>

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

Thank you all for a stimulating set of comments! The solution is clear now: if I am to explore 67 I should get the full set

with a couple of lenses designed for Pentax itself. Which models have TTL metering built in? What is the difference of

Pentax 67ii? Is it worth it? I am always thinking that painters (I work in oils too) have a different degree of freedom when

choosing a format for a future painting: it could be 50x40, 90x90, 150x100 or anything you want it to be. In photography,

the limits of the medium, the format that the camera has is the factor that determines the dimensions of the final piece (I

am a purist and do not really like cropping). The only way to try it is to try different systems. For me there is much more

value in choosing the right format for a project rather than cropping in post-stages. Why didn't anyone to figure out a

program enhancement for the Nikon D300/D800, which could set the dimensions: 6x6, 3x4, 6x7, 6x9 right at the start? It

would have been revolutionary! I tried the digital Hasselblad and was disappointed a bit seeing that the matrix isn't

square...

Tom: thanks for that link to the eBay auction! While $3,600 is a fair price for that type of extremely low volume custom

conversion, I'd have to really, really have a need for leaf shutter type lenses n a wide range of focal lengths on the

mighty Pentax 67 to justify that, or be a well-heeled collector.

Stanislav: yes the Pentax 67Ii is worth it over the first version. It's one of the four cameras I've owned over the years that

I wish i still owned (the others are my 1967 Nikn F which was stolen, and the other three are a Hasselblad 500C, a Leica

M4-P, and a very customized V-pan Mark III 6x17cm view camera, but I digress.) however I don't think much of the TTL

meter on the Pentax. You'll be better off getting a good handheld meter that can read a 1-degree spot as well as take

incident type readings.

The Nikon D600, D 800 and D810 are by default the same height to width ratio, 1:1.5, as 6x9cm. There is also a menu

option to set a 4:5 ratio (same as 6x7cm) crop. The reason on the D800/D800E/D810 not to choose a smaller capture

area is if you need to shoot architecture or products where you want to shoot so the vertical lines of the subject are

vertical when you shoot them. In that case usea wider angle lens, level the pitch and roll axis of the camera, and then

non-destructively crop when you process. This was a trick i. Learned when I shot with a Pentax 67, a Hasselblad, and 4x5

cameras.

<blockquote>

<p>I am interested in taking advantage of the 67 format without investing in a different set of lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While the HK modified Pentax 67 bodies are intriguing, they are also very expensive.</p>

<p>If you can live without SLR viewing, a much cheaper solution might be a Hasselblad lens board (something like item # 321465340894 on ebay) and a 6x7 back on a small view camera. A big question mark hanging over this though is how the lens shutter is cocked and fired...I don't see any mechanism in that particular adapter anyway. So a camera like a Speed Graphic or "baby" Speed Graphic, with its own focal plane shutter, would probably be required. </p>

<p>Yes, the TTL meters will drift over time, so if one is to use them as a default meter, one has to calibrate/ check accuracy with a proven meter once a year. Most times, an adjustment can be made using the ASA dial. Other times, the meter needs to sent in for more complex adjustments when more than one EV range is off.</p>

<p>Stanislav,<br>

As the previous posters wrote, since the flange register distance is about 10mm shorter for the Hasselblad V than the Pentax 67, no adapters exist to mount hassy lenses on pentax 67 cameras. However, there are 2 ways to get Hasselblad lenses to work on the Pentax 67. <br>

1. You can adapt Hasselblad (or Pentacon) lenses to the Pentax 67 mount (lens mount surgery). <br>

2. You can buy a Pentax 67 (II) that has been modified with a Hasselblad mount (camera mount surgery)<br>

The second way allows you to use any Hassy lens on the Pentax 67. For the first mount surgery option, I've seen the following lenses modified: (anything over 110mm or so):<br>

Hasselblad Zeiss 110/2 F/FE (more surgery than normal)<br>

Zeiss Jena 120/2.8 (have seen these on ebay)<br>

Hasselblad Zeiss 150/2.8 F/FE<br>

Zeiss Jena 180/2.8 (wonderful bokeh but heavy)<br>

Schneider 250/5.6 (and the 150/4) for Pentacon 6<br>

Zeiss Jena 300/4<br>

etc.<br>

The second route (camera mount surgery) is much simpler and in the long run cheaper if you use many hassy lenses (no need to have lens mount surgery done on multiple lenses). You buy a Pentax 67 (II) that has been modified with a hasselblad lens mount. You see these cameras on ebay, and I've noticed that the price has gone up over the years. ($3000+). Any hasselblad V lens will mount on these modified cameras, but the thing to watch out for is lens coverage. Look at the MTF charts for each lens to see how far the coverage goes past 6x6. A few lenses cover 6x7 with no problem, namely:<br>

Hasselblad 40mm f/4 CFI IF Zeiss Distagon (supposed to be very sharp, must remove "hood" to avoid vignetting on 67)<br>

Zeiss Sonnar 100mm f/3.5 (easily covers 6x7)<br>

Zeiss 110/2<br>

Zeiss 150/2.8 and f4<br>

etc. The longer lenses typically cover 6x7. This second option allows the use of the NASA-inspired 100mm 3.5 lens, which to my knowledge cannot be altered to work on the Pentax 67.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>