Hasselblad SWC SWC/M

brian_minnich

<p>Local stores, (if you're lucky enough to have a real local high quality store) KEH, Midwest, Craig's list (local only), the sales boards of Photonet and getdpi, are all ok with the usual caveats. I have never personally bought anything that valuable on Ebay. Some swear it's safe and great, some believe it to be evil incarnate.<br>

These are the same sources as for any high quality equipment. My local store, Pro Photo in Portland has a SWC/M in the used department, it looked good through the glass, it's $2,800US with finder and A12. I have bought significant used gear from them and been uniformly satisfied. You might want to check their website. Where are you located?<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>I bought a wonderful example with back, finder and ground glass screen on e-bay for $1800.00 and am very happy with it. I have never ever be burned on ebay, but have been by Keh. </p>

<p>I have bought more Hasselblad bodies backs and lens on ebay.... never ever one single problem.<br>

Even bought a BMW motorcycle on e-bay......... but I would never do craigs list......to many robberies and the such.</p>

<p>I've both bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on eBay without incident.</p>

<p>The secret of safely using eBay is to take time to review the feedback entered for the seller. If it's much less than 100% positive, run away. The tone of the feedback comments should tell you something as well, though they are often "boiler plate".</p>

<p>I've bought an awful lot of stuff on evilpay, much more than I should admit. Never had a problem.</p>

<p>One good indication of sellers is their response to non-positive feedback. Look at what they've posted for others. If you see an attitude emerging, run away.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Funny thing about this thread is the only times I've had trouble buying used Hasselblad has been through fleabay, where someone is unloading their piece of junk. Maybe it's just bad luck. I've also had troubles with KEH, but they have a great return policy. If you can find it more locally, that would be the route I would go.</p>

<p>If you sleepwalk to a purchase on ebay you can get burnt. If you carefully check the feedback, photos, descriptions, policies, shipping costs, seller's other items, seller's completed listings - then you should be absolutely fine.</p>

<p>Here's someone who's going to get imminently burnt. There are 11 bids up to AU$1525 on an auction ending in a few hours for a "Leaf Aptus17 Digital Back w/Mamiya 645AFD Professional", item 130421562964. Note the following:<br>

- the seller has Zero feedback.<br>

- the item photos are all stock ones culled from the web. Several of them show a 645AFD with a _film_ back. One of them shows a later model (645AFDIII) with a later lens (80mm D). The only one showing a Leaf back is an Aptus II, not an Aptus 17. <br>

- the item description says nothing about the condition or provenance of the item. You'd think that if someone in Thailand had such a nice kit, he'd like to say what he used shoot with it or point us to some of his favourite photos taken with it.<br>

- the item description is a cut-n-paste job, consisting only of the manufacturer's specs.<br>

- the postage cost is unrealistically low for something this big and valuable.<br>

- the seller has no other items for sale, just this one big valuable thing.<br>

- the seller has no completed listings</p>

<p>Despite these obvious alarm bells, there's been no lack of bidders willing to part with a chunk of their cash. The emptors are not caveating!</p>