Hasselblad quick coupling

WAn

<p>Gentlemen, sorry for a dumb question:<br>

I have 2 things: 501CM (that has 2 threads on the bottom shoe: 3/8" and 1/4", both female) and a tripod head that ends with 3/8" thread (male). I want to use quick coupling.<br>

My understanding that I need TWO more things:<br>

1) a plate with male thread to be connected to the camera bottom shoe<br>

2) an adapter (a sort of jaw) with 3/8" female thread to be connected to the tripod head.<br>

Is it correct?<br>

If yes, can anyone tell me the required items ## according the hasselblad catalogs?<br>

-- I have no catalog and have lost any hope to find any relevant information at www.hasselblad.com...</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Andrey</p>

<p>Andrey, you're right on both counts. I use a Bogen-Manfrotto quick release plate designed for the Hasselblad. One thing I like about it is the very low profile, almost flush with the bottom of the camera. Here's some details from the B&H website:<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554278-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_030HAS_030HAS_Hexagonal_Quick_Release.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554278-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_030HAS_030HAS_Hexagonal_Quick_Release.html</a><br>

You'll also need a Bogen-Manfrotto tripod head to match the plate. There's a pretty wide selection on the B&H site as well.</p>

<p>OK, well, check the B&H site anyway for other options. There are generic quick-release plates and adapters that might work with your existing head. Just be sure you get one that will support the 501CM firmly. Some of the plates out there are designed for smaller cameras and are pretty wimpy.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Andrey,</p>

<p>Just so it is clear: you are <strong><em>not</em></strong> right on both counts.<br>

You only need, as Danny mentioned, a quick release holder to attach to the tripod head. The camera already has a shoe that will slide into such a thing.<br>

The only 'but' is that you need to have a Hasselblad quick release mount.</p>

<p>Ok, thank you!<br /> I suspected that the bottom shoe of 501CM is already designed to serve as a coupling plate, it looks very similar, I just wasn't sure.<br>

Well, the only needed thing seems to be (to quote the KEH), the<br /> <strong>TRIPOD QUICK RELEASE S WITH LEVEL 45144 <br /> </strong> -- the latest version as I understand. <br>

Correct? :)<br /> </p>

<p>Andrey, there are a few to choose from. The two that I use do not have a level built into them. I prefer the one on the left as its release lever is neatly located undernieth the plate and not protruding on the side. This is one item where e-bay may be worth a try. There's not much to go wrong with them.</p><div>00RqkY-99039584.jpg.e69650a4d3d8937844d6545375b23dc3.jpg</div>

I replaced the foot on my 503cw with an Arca-type one from Clearsight USA (if I remember the name correctly) so I wouldn't have to attach an Arca plate on the bottom of the Hasselblad plate. The Clearsight plate is very nice.

The Arca system is the way to go, especially if you have other cameras that you attach to the same head.

<p>The item I have is the one on the right in Thomas Wilson's image, and is one of the most useful, best value-for-money Hasselblad accessories I ever bought. It spends most of it's time fastened to the Linhof head shown <a href="../medium-format-photography-forum/00MDAL">here</a> , ... which has a reversible duel-thread plate (the big round black thing). I also use it on other devices for copy work, virtually anything with a 1/4 or 3/8 attachment.<br /> But I can only speak for 500C/M and EL/M cameras.</p>

<p>These Hasselblad mounts do their job very well (the release button was moved to the side, Thomas, because on larger tripod heads, you can't reach it when it's underneath and/or it is permanently depressed).<br />The newer 45144 does the job even better. But it works only with cameras having the late style foot (like Andrey's 501 CM).<br>

I'll repeat what i've already said: there is absolutely no need to get a third party foot to replace the one that is on the camera already. No need at all.<br />Get yourself the 45144 thingy.<br />And if you are using Hasselblad's with the old style foot, get one of these thingies Thomas is showing a picture of.<br />Or the 45144 and use the quick mount shoe adapter available from Hasselblad (it, and a second version available, will also allow mounting any other camera on the 45144 and later 3043326 Hasselblad tripod mounts).</p>

<p>The latest version as QG mentioned is the Hasselblad Tripod Quick Coupling H # 3043326 ... which fits all V and H cameras using the built in plate already on the cameras.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/265096-REG/Hasselblad_30_43326_Tripod_Quick_Coupling_H.html"></a><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/265096-REG/Hasselblad_30_43326_Tripod_Quick_Coupling_H.html"></a>$141., new at B&H.<br>

You can purchase the "S" plates in order to use other cameras or Telephoto lenses with the H Quick Coupler.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"the Hasselblad Tripod Quick Coupling H # 3043326 ... which fits all V and H cameras using the built in plate already on the cameras."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not all. The earlier V-system cameras have a different foot, and will not fit without the adapter.<br />The old foot can be recognized by having a raised, bare metal edge underneath. They are thin plates, screwed onto a spacer.<br />The newer foots are all black metal, have two wider grooves underneath, a plethora of tripod screw sockets, and are wedge shaped, with a thin edge mimicking the older plate, which lets it fit the old style quick mount as well as the new ones.</p>

<p>To recap:<br>

The mounts shown by Thomas and Paul will work with all V-System cameras.<br>

The later 45144 and 3043326 mounts will work without further ado with all V-System cameras that have the new shoe, and with every other camera using the adapter Marc mentioned.</p>

<p>The 45144 and later 3043326 provide a marginally better hold, and not having the handle stick up on the side, do not cause problems when using other than V-System cameras that perhaps do not allow clearance for that thingy.</p>

<p>David,<br>

<br />Though there are manufacturers who have tripod coupling thingies on their heads that take Hasselblad cameras directly, i am indeed not saying that a 503 CW will fit on an Arca-style coupling.<br>

I don't know whether they do or not, but think they do not.<br>

<br />What my point is, is that you do not need to invest in both a plate to replace the shoe the camera comes with, and a tripod quick coupling.<br />All you need is a Hasselblad quick coupling.<br>

<br />You can then go buy film, and have it processed, with the money saved by not replacing something that doesn't need replacing. ;-).</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarification Q.G. re: older V models ... I took that info off the B&H site and will e-mail them to correct their product discription for the H Quick Release.</p>

<p>Not only do I think that the Hassey release is a good solution, IMO it's the best solution for Hasselbald cameras because it's just as solid as anything out there, and doesn't require adding a plate to the bottom of the camera which hangs down. </p>

<p> </p>

Thanks for the response Q.G. And Marc, the elimination of the "lump" is the beauty of the Clearsight USA arca replacement foot (if you have an arca head).

<P>

You take the hassy foot off, and screw on the clearsight one. No affliation with the company, btw.

<P>

<A href="http://www.clearsightusa.com">link</a>

<P>

Of course, if all you have is a 'blad, then don't bother. Marc, you must have well 'nigh 100 cameras, though ;-)

Ahahahah Q.G.! I like your sense of humor!

What I'm trying to say is that if one has an investment in the arca quick-release system with other cameras, then the Clearsite plate makes sense. The other two big players in the arca plate system, Kirk and RRS, have plates that simply screw into the bottom of the hassy foot, stacking and creating a tippy big lump on the bottom of the camera.

<P>However, the Clearsight plate <b>replaces</b> the hassy plate, leaving the camera with the same sleek stable bottom profile.

<p>Gentlemen, thanks a lot for all your answers.<br /> One more question please.<br>

While browsing old related threads I found an alarming sentence at<br /> http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/009kRv<br>

where <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=349012">Gary Rowlands</a> wrote:<br /> "When mounting the Hasselblad plate on anything there is a requirment to allow the lever to drop to open the mount. My Linhof head doesn't allow this. "<br>

My tripod head is the Burzynsky head (see photo). The round top plate of the beast is 56 mm in diameter.<br>

Will I run into problem with the combo "45144 + 56mm plate"?<br /> <strong><br /> </strong></p>

<div>00Rs9U-99759584.jpg.9ed5f766a7c30f71e05ac4a0b42a01af.jpg</div>