Hasselblad lens hood and cap don't like each other on 80mm Planar CF

ray .

Just received a Hasselblad 80mm CF lens from KEH with lens hood and cap- (all EX condition). The hood and cap aren't working well together. Hood is the 60/80 and works great alone. The 51643 front lens cap that also has '60' in raised letters on the inside does OK as well by itself. Getting the two to work together is a different story.

If the cap is on first and I put the hood on, the 2 pieces get stuck together, the hood only screws on the lens half way, the cap is hard to budge, and it takes quite an effort to get them off the lens. Both times I have done this they come off together with the cap sort of screwed into the hood, and then it pops out.

If I have the hood on first the cap doesn't get stuck, but it kind of skates around trying to find fit and never seems to do a sufficient turn and seat normally. It kind of works, but not easy and sure like it should.

I had a Hasselblad 80 CF lens before and never had this issue. The cap looks more worn than the hood. I kind of think this cap, while it might be the proper cap for the lens(?), wasn't the same cap that originally came with this lens, judging by the wear it has. It actually looks more like 'Bargain' condition than EX. Should I just ask KEH for a cap in better condition or could it be the wrong cap?

Thanks in advance...

My genuine Hasselblad hoods worked fine with my bayonet lens caps. I have a 3rd party hood (38/60) that did not, and behaved like yours. The inside diameter of the lip over the front of the lens was slightly too small, and jammed with the lens cap. I sanded it down a tiny bit, and now it's better. That hood looked very might like a Hasselblad branded one, along with all the markings.
"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

In real world practice, especially for professionals, one does not use both a lens cap and a lens hood; one or the other, but not both.

If it was me, I would throw away the cap and keep the hood, because that is the more useful 'accessory'.

Failing all else, get a genuine Hassie lens cap from KEH or some place else.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

KEH just sent me a different cap. This one seems to work OK with the hood.

As to the comment from Silent Street- I'm not sure why you would want to spend $800 or more for a lens and not have a cap for it— unless you keep a protective filter on it.

Thanks everyone.