Hasselblad flexbody plus CF40 lens

andreas_carl

I do have the flexbody and find that it really makes a difference with

my CF60 lens. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the

flexbody plus 40mm lens. How much does it improve DOF for landscapes?

This will factor into my decision whether to buy a SWC or the new

CFi40 lens. (I used to have the SWC and liked it a lot).

I also have a CF 60 and a CF 40 as well to use with my FlexBody.

Yes, I think you will find it necessary to tilt even with a CF 40, especially if you like to go really close to the foreground of the picture. I have taken pictures of flowers with the closest flowers slightly less than 10 cm from the front lens and with some tall trees in the background. In this situation I still needed to stop down to f/22 to be able to get everything outside the focal plane into acceptable focus when viewing the Velvia slides with a good 8x loupe. Without tilt capabilities, this kind of picture would be completely impossible as I see it.

Some bakground and a comparison with the CF 50:

I used the FlexBody for several years with a CF 50 until last fall when I decided to upgrade my wide angle photography and add a slightly longer focal length (CF 60) as well as something shorter (a CF 40 or a SWC).

When I was using the CF 50 I often saw the need of tilting to increase the DOF. I had the old CF 50 with a minimum aperture of f/22.

I have to admit that I have never tried the SWC in person, but I decided against it since I so often needed to tilt with the CF 50 to get the pictures I wanted. I concluded that I might need to tilt even with CF 40, it is after all not that much wider than a CF 50. I thus decided to get a CF 40 together with the CF 60.

After extensive experimenting and regular useage during the last months, my conclusion is that the freedom of being able to tilt with the CF 40 makes it possible to really extend the capablities of this lens in a way that I can not imagine is possible with the SWC. This is even if the SWC is said to have a slightly longer DOF due to its symmetrical construction (and of course those extra 2 mm's of focal length).

If you think that a 38/40 and a 60 would complement each other for landscape and you find the FlexBody to be a really valuable tool with your 60, I think you might like to be able to use the FlexBody even with the wider lens.

• 2 weeks later...