Hasselblad Extension Tube help

btmuir

I'm new to MF and building an older 500 c/m system. I have so far,

80 planar and 150 sonnar. I would like to get tighter composition

with the 150 and was considering an extentsion tube. Can anyone

recommend the best tube for these lenses? (for tighter portraits and

some tabletop stuff) Thanks

Bruce, with my 21mm tube on my 150 Sonnar, I measure 55" from subject to film plane, with the lens at infinity. With the lens at closest focus, it's about 34". I'm sure that's as close as you want to get, for portraits. A 16mm tube would get you a bit more distance between you and your subject.

For the 80mm, I don't think I would want to use an extension tube for portraits, as it will be getting in awfully close! But for table top work, any of the various tubes might be right, just depending on how close you need to be. The 21mm tube on the 80 will get you in the ballpark of 16 inches from subject plane to film plane. At that distance, a 7 1/2 inch videotape box fills the height of the frame. Don't expect much depth of field! A 10mm might be more versatile on the 80mm for tabletop photography. I don't have one, but I think it would give you distances in the 18" to 34" or so range.

The answer is solely how much magnification you want. The pdf mentioned is useful to visualise the result (with a ruler!).

On balance, I think that the 16 mm tube is the best starter, as the 32 is mostly too long for portraits with the 150. The 16 mm can be used with the lens extension to cover the range that one gets with the 8 mm. The 16 mm tube will give a minimum field width of 22cm /8.7 inches.

The 16 mm with an 80 mm lens will give a minimum field width of 18 cm/ 7.1 cm which should be OK for tabletop. If you want some more serious macro then the 32 and 56 become relevant.

A similar topic was raised 3 days ago: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009GD8

I would suggest a teleconverter. Either the 1.4x(certain lenses)or the 2x(any lens except the 135). You can use it along with an extension tube if so desired. Either way exposure compensation is required. The converter will also make it just a bit more difficult to see to focus and compose. The 2x loses 2 stops, the 1.4, 1 stop. Another advantage to a converter is you could have a longer lens for other uses also. Used with the 150 you could have a 300 (with the 2x).

vic... :)