Hasselblad D-40 Flash

photo11

Hi, I have the Hasselblad D-40 flash. Is there any members of the forum that

have used the AA Nickel Metal-Hydride in there D-40 flash, the ones that I am

using are rated at 1850mAh. Do you foresee a problem over a period of time?

Thank you. Mike.

The important thing is the voltage, not the mAh (milliamp hour) rating, which is simply an indication of how many flash cycles you'll get before they need to be recharged. The higher the mAh rating, the more flash cycles. As long as the voltage is within parameters specified for the flash, no problem.

Hi William, Thanks for retuning my question and I am sure that as you say no harm can come to using the Nickel Metal-Hydride, but try telling that to Hasselblad USA, the repair tech there that has worked on many Hasselblad D-40 flash units said to me very adamantly that under no circumstances to use the Nickel Metal-Hydride batteries, they clam that the D-40 has a very different circuit and the high current form the NMH batteries will eventually kill the unit.

That was the reason I was asking to see if anybody has a D-40 flash and has used NMH batteries with no ill affect. Again thanks for your input.

Mike.

Well, personally I think the tech is full of doo-doo, but it's been my experience that it's always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations, especially if there's a question of voiding the warranty. I've never used the D-40 myself, so I'm afraid I can't give you a better answer. Good luck with it!