Hasselblad A12 magazine error?

moose

Hi folks,

about 20 years I'm taking photos with my CM501. I've two magazines, one four daily use films and one for films I use less common. The attached scan is from a film which has been exposed within the less common used magazine. The scan is showing images 10-12 (from bottom to top).

As you see, image 10 (and 1-9 too) are exposed right. But, images 11 and 12 are partially overexposed. Both are shot in the same scenary and with the same settings just a few seconds between each. And, asy you see the overexposed part is leading a little bit into the bottom of the next image.

I never saw this kind of exposing every time before. Did you do ever? What may be the reason? Is it an error in the magzin itself or may it be a mistake of the laboratory who developed the film? Or may be a totally other reason?

Well, I already checked the trap seal (light seal) foam and foil, but is totally light proof.

Currently I've no other idea what may have happened. And I didn't see such kind of an partially overexposed images on my Hasselblad ever before.

Any help/hint would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

moose

387_10-12_D.thumb.jpg.8445a9fc4071d1a77745e112a8fc6d6b.jpg

I would have suggest checking the dark slide seals, except you've already discounted that.

It's not in the rebate, so it came from infront of the film gate.

Decreasing intensity from right to left indicates it entered from the left side of the camera and projected across the film plane. (keeping in mind the image is upside down in the camera)

The shadow on the right give you an idea of how much in front of the film plane that leak was. You classically see that width of shadow when the dark slide seals are leaking.

But the uniform length of the leak would indicate the whole dark slide seal was leaking, which is unusual.

If it was not the dark slide seal, then maybe you did not have the back firmly attached, and left a crack between the camera and back. I've had leaks from that, but usually they occur on the bottom of the image, due to the way the back attaches.

Put the back on, look through the front of the camera without lens, and shutter open, and use a flash-light to search around the back seam and seals to look for the leak. If no leak, then run a test roll.

• Like 1
"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

Are you sure this is not a dark slide issue? Your third image still has a faint band of lighter exposure on the right side of the image (dark slide side). Has the dark slide seal been changed recently? Since this is your "not used as often" film back, do you store it with the dark slide in place? This compresses the foam for as long as you have the slide in place which increases the time it takes to fully decompress once the slide is removed.