Hasselblad A12 back not mating properly with camera

krk2009

Hi all,

I purchased my first Hasselblad, a 500 EL/M, recently along with two separate A12 backs. I think the film backs are not mating properly with the camera for the following reasons:

1) Once the back is loaded and locked to the camera, I am able to remove the backs with just a little bit of pressure without moving the knob on top.

2) With the back locked to the camera and the dark slide removed, I am still able to move the knob that removes the back from the camera. I believe this should not be possible with the dark slide removed.

I have seen a significant amount of light leak in my photos. Initially I thought I need to replace the light trap in the backs, but the light leaks are on the left side, bottom and the right side of the photos. This tells me the issue it not likely due to the light trap.

Any suggestions on how I can go about fixing it? Since it is happening with two separate backs, could it be a problem with the camera mechanism that locks to the backs?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I purchased my first Hasselblad, a 500 EL/M, recently along with two separate A12 backs. I think the film backs are not mating properly with the camera for the following reasons:

1) Once the back is loaded and locked to the camera, I am able to remove the backs with just a little bit of pressure without moving the knob on top.

2) With the back locked to the camera and the dark slide removed, I am still able to move the knob that removes the back from the camera. I believe this should not be possible with the dark slide removed.

I have seen a significant amount of light leak in my photos. Initially I thought I need to replace the light trap in the backs, but the light leaks are on the left side, bottom and the right side of the photos. This tells me the issue it not likely due to the light trap.

Any suggestions on how I can go about fixing it? Since it is happening with two separate backs, could it be a problem with the camera mechanism that locks to the backs?

Thanks!

My immediate thought is wear to the locking hooks at the top of the body.

Thanks. Is there an easy/economical way to fix or replace the hooks?

Quick Update: I have a prism finder on the camera. When I remove the prism finder and lock the magazine, it locks securely and does not release with just pressure without moving the release knob. However, the magazine knob still unlocks the magazine without the dark slide being inserted.

Now I am confused as to what the issue is. Since the magazine locks on to the camera without the prism finder, does that mean the locking hooks on the camera body are OK and somehow the prism finder isn't letting the magazine lock in all the way? It still won't explain why the magazine unlock button releases the magazine without the dark slide being present, on both of my magazines.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? I am clearly a newbie to the hasselblad and at a loss as to what to do.

you need to remove the front plate on insert and check the locking mechanism initiated by the dark side. Also you'll be able to check the dark side light seal.

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

@coronawithlime: Thanks I'll take a look at eBay to find the part. But based on the magazine locking on to the back with the prism finder removed, I am thinking the issue may not be with the hooks on the body after all...

@pavel: The same issue is happening with two different A12 backs. I am surprised that two backs purchased at two different times may have the same issue. Or are these issues fairly common given the age of most of these backs?

Sorry, I missed that you have problem with both backs.

Are backs or hooks secured on body - no wobling? Are the lower hooks straight?

Do you try to say that base of prizm is pushing back away from body? The top hooks coud be attached incorrectly.

Can you attach pics.

Edited by pavel_l.

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

• 3 weeks later...