Hasselblad 503CW + Flash (remote) issues

jjgarcia

Hi there!

First of all thank you for reading, i'm new to the forum and a newbie with the Hasselblad so please keep that on mind if I'm not so precise sometimes.

Recently I was able to borrow a 503 CW and I'm enjoying so much the "toy". I'm developing my own film and learning from my previous film Nikon EM.

I've decided to start shoting with flash and I've attached a hotshoe with the PC sync cable to the lens (80 mm f2.8 CF T*). Then i've connected the remotes to a pair of Nikon SB600/700 (Using 2 receivers X1RN and the Godox XProN to the hotshoe).

The Setup works fine in the D7100 and once I had the proper light I've just transfered the settings to the 503CW (i.e. f8/125 and ISO 100 film) and tested.

The 503CW was triggering both remotes and I was thinking the approach was correct but when I've developed the film (2 rolls) all shots are "blank/transparent" (film code/brand and exp numbers are properly identifiable on the film).

What am I doing wrong? I'm working in Manual mode for the flash so no TTL.

Thank you very much in advance,

J.J. Garcia

If you have an older C lens with scalloped rings, make sure the lens is set to X sync. In M sync, the flash is fired 20 mseconds before the shutter opens. CF and newer lenses with knurled rings are X-sync only.

Thanks for the Reply, my lens is a CF so therefore is X-sync.

There is another thread also talking about the same topic I think but I'm still confused. I've made few tests today with the PC-Sync + Hotshoe now attached to the coldshoe on top of the PME90, then the remote Godox XProN, but I think I've not yet managed to understand how it works the whole set.

Thanks

JJ

Try triggering the flash with the back of the camera removed. The shutter(s) should be open and the diaphragm closed to the preset value when viewed from the rear. The contacts close when the shutter is wide open, and stay closed until the shutter begins to close. Perhaps there is a timing issue with the mirror or auxiliary shutters (barn doors). Are there any delays built into the X1RN or the Godox trigger?

Make sure the trigger is in Manual mode, not TTL or iTTL. Nikon looks for a pre-flash in TTL mode to set the power level, with a substantial delay before the main flash. That isn't going to happen with a 503CW.

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 1