Hasselblad 500 c and el/m lenses

filippo_birichino

Hello,

hope somebody can help me with this.

II have two lenses for these old cameras i found, one 80 mm and one 150mm.

I wanted to test them and off set flashes, so i connected the lenses directly to the flash using the Sync contact.

Using the same cable, the 150 mm fire the flash and the 80 doesn't...i suppose there is a problem with that lens.

Is there anything i could do to make sure about it before looking for a repair store? Is there any other way to make the lens fire the flash?

Thanks

Filippo

No the flash will only fire via the PC connector.

The PC connector is famous for being a troublesome connector.

Check the connector on the lens, to see if the outside is clean, and that there is nothing inside the center hole.

Unfortunately you cannot clean the center hole.

Clean the outside of the connector with a "very slightly" damp cloth of alcohol, and wipe dry. Finger oils can sometimes be enough to prevent the flash from firing.

Do NOT drip alcohol down into the connector. If you cannot get to the outside of the connector, leave it alone.

Next are 2 things on the cable:

Sometimes the outside shell of the cable connector will sometimes not touch the shell of the connector on the lens.

In that case we would "very slightly" crimp the shell of the cable connector, to get it to grip the connector on the camera.

Be careful, too much crimp will make the connector grip the connector too tight, which could damage the connector on the lens. That is why I said "very slightly" crimp.

The problem is if the connectors on both lenses are not exactly the same size, it could be tight on one lens, and loose on the other.

Sometimes the pin in the cable is dead center in the hole and not quite touching the side of the hole of the connector on the lens/camera.

In that case, we used to "very slightly" bend the pin to the side, to make it touch the side of the hole. This is tricky, cuz if you bend the pin too much, you could break the connection of the pin inside the cable, and the cable is ruined.

There is risk in doing what I said.

If you do not want to risk damage, take the gear to a repair shop to check out and fix.

Thank you Gary, not feeling very confident on doing this...will just go to professionals, thanks anyways

The PC connector is famous for being a troublesome connector.

Check the connector on the lens, to see if the outside is clean, and that there is nothing inside the center hole.

Unfortunately you cannot clean the center hole.

Clean the outside of the connector with a "very slightly" damp cloth of alcohol, and wipe dry. Finger oils can sometimes be enough to prevent the flash from firing.

Do NOT drip alcohol down into the connector. If you cannot get to the outside of the connector, leave it alone.

Next are 2 things on the cable:

Sometimes the outside shell of the cable connector will sometimes not touch the shell of the connector on the lens.

In that case we would "very slightly" crimp the shell of the cable connector, to get it to grip the connector on the camera.

Be careful, too much crimp will make the connector grip the connector too tight, which could damage the connector on the lens. That is why I said "very slightly" crimp.

The problem is if the connectors on both lenses are not exactly the same size, it could be tight on one lens, and loose on the other.

Sometimes the pin in the cable is dead center in the hole and not quite touching the side of the hole of the connector on the lens/camera.

In that case, we used to "very slightly" bend the pin to the side, to make it touch the side of the hole. This is tricky, cuz if you bend the pin too much, you could break the connection of the pin inside the cable, and the cable is ruined.

There is risk in doing what I said.

If you do not want to risk damage, take the gear to a repair shop to check out and fix.