for portraits and keep seeing good prices on ebay for the chrome

150mm F/4 Sonnar Chrome lens. My question: Is this lens a good

choice or is there that much difference in the newer T* version

lens? Needless to say, I spent a lot on money on my 510CM and don't

have the money to buy a new one but I don't want to make a mistake

either. Any advice would be a beg help to me. Thanks in advance

for your help.

Rick

I believe that the only difference between the older ones, T or not T, are just the coatings on the lens elements that make the T lens more contrasty and less susceptible to flare than the non-T.

Now, compared to the newer 150mm CF T lens, the whole lens was redesigned, and they now use Prontor shutters instead of the Synchro-Compur they used on the older ones. The Prontor shutters are much reliable, and the new lenses are much better optically than the older ones, but they cost an arm and a leg.

Now, the older lens without the T coating is great, as long as you use a lens hood, and in my opinion, they were much better built than the newer ones, but you have to get one in good shape, the problem with those lenses are the Synchro-Compur shutters that loose tension, they are repairable, but the repair might be expensive depending on what they have to replace, and the parts are getting scarce, according to some people.

I picked up one of these last year. For the lens and a CLA to make it work like new I still ended up paying less that what a nice newer T would have cost me. The lens itself is very, very sharp, with just a touch more bloom around the highlights than the newer versions. IMHO that hint of extra glow makes b/w look very lush. The old C also feels really solid.

cheers,

feli

I have been in the same situation as you and opted for the old non T* chrome lens.

My reasons where :

- Cheaper. I knew I would not use this lens extensively and then did no want to put too much money in it.

- A non T* lens is not multi-coated but it IS coated.

- Multi-coating is important mostly for wide-angle lens or if you have a lot of elements in the lens. The Sonnar 150 is no a wide angle and has only 5 elements, meaning few glass to air surface (if you go to the zeiss site they explain the origin of the name 'Sonnar' have a look at this, it's interesting). For a 150mm lens used with the proper lens shade there shoud not be too much difference between T* and non T* in 99% of the case.

- I read a post by someone on this site saying something like : When you will show your photos nobody will say "Hey, this one would have been far better if you had used the new CFi lens"

You can also read : http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/coatings.html

Regards,

I have had and used my 150mm Chrome non t*since 1967. It is exceedingly sharp. The colour is well suited to portrait work. I have used the softars on it because it was too sharp, You definitely will need a 16mm extention tube to get into the headshot framing. The difference in the final image between this lense and the CF is that the new coatings are much better in rendering colour in an uncontrolled environment. In a studio or wereever you can control the light the 150mm c non T* will look the same as the new CF. The benefit of the older lense is the bay 50 filters which are inexpensive. The topic of the shutters is of some concern, I highly recommend that you actually test the lense and shutter BEFORE you buy !!!!!!!!!! Ebay is a great dumping zone for dead lenses. Get yours from dealer who has checked the lense and gives you a guarantee. I have had my compur shutters maintained and it is costly. From talking to my friends who fix cameras they are confident that they will be fixing thse compours for many years to come. IF you were to get a Chrome 150mm and spend the difference on a really good flash and softbox you would be ahead of the game. But that is dependent upon getting a chrome c with an accurate shutter. If you shoot B&W portriat get a Yellw Green filter too.

Have you considered a 160mmCB? I've seen new grey market for around $1400 and barely used ones in the U.S. for about the same price. It is a great portrait lens. And you will be getting a new or recently made lens with the newer shutter and recently improved contrast.

Gosh, only $1400? I paid just under $400 for my chrome non-*T 150 Sonnar and it's working beautifully. An oldie, but what a goodie! Don't believe that horse-dudu about no parts for the lens. I think Blad folks put that out to increase sales. (Those marketting scamps!) Say, didn't Ansel Adams use non *T Sonnars?

• 4 months later...