nick_reeves

Given a limited budget, I can afford either a 100mm T* or an 80mm CF

lense.

I'm familiar with the 100mm C T* lense - used to own it but the

shutter died and I chose to get my money back from the dealer - and

I've read about its advantages over the 80mm. I loved the 100mm, but

I can't afford an equivalent CF lense. Would I be more sensible to

replace my dead 100mm C T* with a more modern CF type 80mm, given the

age of the C T* type? I haven't used the 80mm.

And I don't indulge in aerial or astro-photography, or anything else

that relies on immaculate MTF charts! Will I notice a big change if I

go to the 80mm?

My other lense is the 50mm.

So which option would you guys take?

The 100mm is generally regarded as one of the stellar lenses in the Blad series, especially for its negligible distortion in copying work and at infinity. And if the slight perspective differential is also inconsequential, the 80mmCF should suit you fine akin to a normal standard lens in the 35mm format. If your 50mm is the latter CF version, you'd have the advantage of using common B60 size filter thread. The 50mm and the 80mm is an ideal 2-lens combination and you can always add the 150mm when budget permits. The 100mm may be a slightly better performer but that with a cost premium.

MTF charts are great for kicks but are usually irrelevant for many shooting conditions, especially for blads in this focal range. The lense formulas for this prime focal-lengths have evolved for such a long time that they are generally superior to most of the other lenses you have in your bag. In the real world, you'll never detect these issues.

If you are into photogrammetry, there are specialized blads to do these kind of work.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom, chaps.

While I think that a 100mm would be lovely, I think I want to go for the 'servicability' of the CF series, and the 80mm will save me lots of cash. My experience of trying to get a terminal shutter failure sorted on my old C T* - and David Odessa's contribution on the subject - leads me to the conclusion that a more modern lense will fit the bill!

I've just got to find one now!

I use the 50,80 and 100 mm lenses (all CF) as my only lenses, and I prefer the 50/100 combo over the 50/80. But if I would travel with only one lens, I would not take the 100 mm. The 80 mm has a little barrel distortion that could be distracting in seascape or when buildings or interiors fills the frame ( strait lines get close to the edges). The CF 100 is almost free from distortion, but it?s only in one or two procent of the situations I need this. I will also tell that you can use the 1,4 converter with the 100 but not with the 80. To your question: The CF 80 is not much different to the CT* 100 in terms of angle of wiew, and I would not like to take the risk with the older CT* version. If money would be no object, I would go for the CF 100 mostly because I like the angle of wiew a little more in combination with the 50 mm.

I am quite surprised by the general consensus that the 80 is about as good as the 100 in real life situations. Have always thought it was considered much better. Have been considering one myself, will now be looking much more critically.

I wonder (perhaps this is a question) if with a digital back, like the Imacon 96c or one of the 22 Mp backs, that the difference might be quite more substantial and noticable. Comments about other lens systems that are fine on film apparently tend to reveal their inadequecies with digital.

Anyone buying this type of a system will probably keep it for many years to come and may likely in the future buy a digital back that will show that difference, if indeed such a difference exists.

Would be interesting to find out a real world performance comparison between the two with a digital back. If a noteworthy difference is disclosed then it would be interesting to have a real world evaluation of all Hassy lenses used with a digital back.

vic... :)

• 3 weeks later...

My 100mm Planar CFi has arrived - and it's in fantastic condition!

The best bit is that it only cost me 350 pounds!! Bought it from an auction of ex-military gear: the auction house were massively helpful - check them out at www.ramco.co.uk

I'm absolutely delighted with my new purchase, and enormously grateful for all the good advice you guys have offered.

Merry Christmas!