meter the scene the shutter sounds liek it just went crazy, the

nstopped, then as I realesed the shutter it did it again and stopped

every thing except flash bc in the LCD. Shutter problem or something

funky in the electronics?

I have taken the batteries out, taken the booster off and reinstalled

the grip and 2CR5 and nothing. The shutter appears to be sitting

where it needs to be except the first curtain almost looks as if it

is a little crooked, but come to think of it it has always looked a

little crooked and worked great up until 15 minutes ago.

BTW I did remove the lens and reinstalll. I actually cleaned terminals the other day because it would not respond, the day before that it had refused to respond while trying a vertical shot. And funny enough my first set of batteries lasted me only 2 weeks before they went dead. I checked batt level yesterday and it had three bars and I checked them just now and the meteer 1.34 volts average. I put fresh ones in just now and still just the "bc".

I am thinking I may have no choice but to let Canon check her out. sucks, as tht money was ggoing ot get a 85mm! well hopefully I can still do the 1.4 TC

Yeah, that happened to me last year when I was in Cuba. It sucked because I had gotten less than a roll through it :( I ended up sending it in for service when I returned and they installed a new shutter for a few hundred dollars. Oh well, good luck!

That was one of the reasons I looked for one so cheap so I could send it of for a go through anyway.I figured quite a few 1 series camera get used hard as that is what they are built for. It was working so great that I figured I would hold off abit. I dont know if this has happened before but I doubt it. This morning after I got my coffee down me I put the batteries back in and it powered up fine after a few clicks. I put the lens on it and it multi clicked again and shut off. I am figuring it is a sign that it wants to go get gone through after a hard life so that is what I'll do.

After seeing what it did this morning and being able to pay attention to where the noise was coming from it doesn't sound like the shutter, and since the lens was off when it did its initial click I could see the mirror did not move. I also thought I detected the sound plus slight vibration coming from the side where the booster mates with the drive inside the camera. After seeing this I am wondering if it was in the area of the built in motor drive. perhaps a drive linkage? Pretty possible considering this one had probably had the booster on it most its life according to the sellers testament. These boosters generate quite a bit of torque which is very obvious when you shoot without it and then put it on and shoot. You can hear the difference in the motor drive. In liue of this I am simply chocking up to normal wear and tear and see the Canon shop as the best place for it. Like any other peice of machinery it is bound to develop problems and not all will be identical.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts between the battery grip/booster and body? Take the GR-E1 or PB-E1 off, and you'll see a row of contacts there. These may need cleaning also.

Make sure that there's nothing fouling the shutter blades or mirror mechanism.

Also try removing the batteries and then leaving the camera overnight before re-inserting.

Yes I actaually cleaned all the contacts last week when the lens decided not to focus one day. I just decided to clean all contacts in my bag! When I reinstalled the battreies this morning evry thing came on and acted like it was going to work...then I installed the lens, clack clack "bc"! I did manage to get it to perform the machinegun sound with the back open and I could definetly see the shutter vibrating. I'll ship it off to Canon and have them fix it and CLA. I intended to send it off at the end of summer anyway. Maybe its best this way as I can start summer off with it basically a brandnew camear when I go out to the tracks and shoot the races and such. I'l also know how much wear is on the shutter at that point!

I was stuck with the Elan7 all day and really missed the brick. The Elan7 is a nice little camera but so many times did I want my spot meter. 10% partial is just not the same! But atleast I have the elan7 to shoot! It does most of what I need it to and I know the meter is accurate. The autofocus is accurate too so Atleast I am still in business.

maybe it just needs a quick check up and a bit of adjustment,and lube. a quick trip to the nearest canon service center should do the trick,, unless it's your only way of letting the wife know that your 1N bit the dust,so now's the time to justify the 1V purchase.. hehehe. take care Daniel stay cool ,,,,pc

Well, I went and bought a new 2CR5 yeasterday and installedthe battery grip and the camera works not. The booster does not. I started to wonder about this when I started yeasterday putting batteries in and getting the LCD display but nothing past that. Then finally the "bc" became permannent without any other response. But the old @cr5 would choww all the LCD information but would flash "bc" upon tripping the shutter button. This I knew was a low battery sign so figured I would try a new battery and sure enough without the booster the camera works great. The forst night however nothing would respond, neither thebooster or grip battery, so that is what led to the intial confusion.

My final deduction is that when problems liek this arise it can just as easily be an accessory as it can be the camera itself. In this case it appears to be a problem in the booster.

That said I am still going to send the camera to Canon for a CLA and the booster in to be repaired. I was originally going to do this at the end of summer but after this weeks fun, I figure living without it for a couple of weeks while Canon of Seattle has it is a much better prospect than having a nasty surprise at a shoot! Glad to know that my shutter is fine though.

Another little clue to this aside from the LCD trying to display information was that when I would install the booster as it made contact with the terminlas the drive would turn ever so slowly and even with the camera turned off the"bc" would display while the "bc" would not display when the grip battrey(2CR5) was installed. However, the first day this was touch and go too. So an interesting little problem which luckily looks liek the ending may be a bit happier.

For archival purposes for those looking for "cures" in the future for problems with their cameras. These things are just as fickle as cars! I am becoming more aware that there is simply no such thing as typical problem. such as a blown head gasket does not always cause a car to lose compression or mix oil and water! I can think of 8 or 9 different symptoms of blown head gaskets, cameras are apparently similar in the respect of problems. Trial and Error is sometimes the best problem solving tool!