Has Canon, or are they planning to, discontinued the G9?

philip_maus

Has anyone heard that Canon may, or is, discontinuing the G9? I went to Fry's the other day to look at one and

they had the display (in terrible shape) marked down to $359 or so, and when I inquired about it, the salesperson

said Canon stopped making that camera. That can't be true? I thought the G9 was their next iteration,

top-of-the-line G series P&S digital. There is nothing about a "G10" or some such thing on Canon website. Can

anyone lend any credence to the Fry's salesperson's comments, or was the guy from the vacuum cleaner section just

helping out and don't know diddley about cameras?

And, since I'm already on the subject, I'll attempt one more question here and see if anyone bites.....I actually

went to Fry's in the first place to try and compare the aforementioned Canon G9 to the Nikon P6000 with thoughts

of a getting a nice little hi-res compact digital camera to have around in the event my film cameras weren't up

to a particular task.

So, now for yet one more ______vs.______ question in hopes that someone here has a reasonable opinion: Which is

better? The Canon G9, or the Nikon P6000? The Canon looks a lot cooler, but the Nikon has a slightly larger (in

MP) sensor and possibly better high ISO / low noise, performance. I'm not in the market for a DSLR at this point,

but I wonder if there's any real standout advantage that one of these cameras has over the other?

Regarding Frys...it's often hard to go in there and find two working samples, much less being able to compare anything. The public as a whole is just a nasty bunch of bums when it comes to easily gotten at equipment they don't actually own. One only needs to go to a Frys to know why REAL camera stores keep the floor models underneath the glass and unavailable unless a salesperson is there to supervise.