Has Canon discontinued imprinting date code in 70-200 f/2.8L II ?

sankars

<p>There was a long thread at FM a couple weeks back on this very topic. The OP also bought a new 70-200 f/2.8L II sans date code. A lot of people were unset about it. Conspiracy theories did abound: Canon is hosing resale value, it wasn't really new but repaired, etc. I won't miss it but a lot of anal retentive phototogs are gonna give birth to little green (save the earth) cows if this the new norm. I bet the code is buried in the lens ROM...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>Ilya - why is the date code idiocy - I find it very useful</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Would you care to explain why? When you buy new lens datecode does not matter. It is a new and unused lens. And when you buy used does it really matter if the lens was used for 3 years or 10? I personally don't think so. Any lens can break, new one just recently bought at the store, used 1 year or used 10 years. Date code means absolutely nothing. It just brings confusion to sellers and buyers.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Date code means absolutely nothing. It just brings confusion to sellers and buyers.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Date codes give absolute clarity to those who want to know the age of particular lenses. The apparent current comission of them is to my mind a big mistake on Canon's part.</p>

<p>Knowing the date code is like knowing what year a car was built. Interesting, but not everything you need to know. It actually gives you a false sense of security in a purchase.</p>

<p>Continuing the car analogy.....</p>

<ul>

<li>a 5 year old car with 20,000 miles vs a 5 year old care with 100,000 miles</li>

<li>a 10 year old car that has been in key west florida, subjected to salt air every day vs. a car in arizona that is always parked in the shade</li>

<li>A car that is 6 months old but been repaired after a flood.</li>

<li>A car that is 4 years old and been in 4 accidents</li>

<li>A car that is 3 years old and never had an oil change</li>

</ul>

<p>Simply knowing the date the lens was manufactured, while interesting, doesn't tell me everything I really need to know when I buy a used lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Simply knowing the date the lens was manufactured, while interesting, doesn't tell me everything I really need to know when I buy a used lens."</p>

<p>You are right Tudor, it doesn't tell you everything but is does tell you something. One piece of information. Combine the datecode with the reputation and word of the seller and you should have peace of mind.<br>

Personally I think it is a useful piece of information.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>`When I worked in the auto industry we used to sell cars that had spent time parked in fields - sometimes up to three years as new cars. Having the manufacturing date on the vehicle is useful in the auto industry as I personally prefer a car made in the last 6 weeks to one made 3 years ago. Similarly the date code lets you know how long the lens has been in the supply chain. It may not be an issue but I prefer one made more recently to an older one - dust can start to enter the lens and flourite decays with exposure to air. These effects may not be visible but they happen. Why as a consumer do you want less information?</p>

<p>Philip</p>

<p>I didn't say it's not useful. What I did say is that it doesn't give you a complete picture. Bottom line is caveat emptor. If you buy used gear, make sure what the return policy is. If it's a really expensive lens, I would take / send it in to a repair facility and have it checked out while you're within the return period.</p>

<p>Tudor</p>

<p>Most of these lenses will go bad shortly after the "use before" date stamped on them, at which point they can become quite toxic, especially L ones that are known to decompose very quickly.</p>

<p>e-mail me and I can give you instructions on the best way to dispose of these dangerous artifacts.</p>

<p>So now there will be a premium on lenses without a date code because they are really "new"? Buyers are extraordinarily picky sometimes. I don't care how old the lens is as long as it works. I couldn't care less myself about whether it was coded or not. I saw that ridiculous thread on FM where someone was getting all agitated having just bought a new lens and it had no code on it. Honestly, I ask you - he hadn't even tried it out! Give us a break.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>There could be any number of reasons why thay have deleted the date code. But as the major manufacturers (not just Canon) build their lenses cheaper and cheaper, the value of older, better built lenses starts to firm. In an inverse sort of way, it helps retain value, and as we all know, depreciation is the elephant in the digital room.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your replies, and "insights" . Personally I find date code useful. Although that does not say everything about the lens, it does say something.<br>

Mark/Philip: Thanks for letting me know that urs has date code, I am assuming u are one of the early adopters. The one I saw definitely does not have a date code in it, am 100% sure about it. So it looks like Canon has discontinued it, atleast for 70-200 2.8 II.</p>

<p>Yakim, I've seen a lot of people reference CW, but I haven't seen anything written by him on the topic. My 70-200 II was purchased early this year (April) and has the stamped (imprinted) date code, not the inked date code, and conventional 6 digit serial number.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">WRT the 70-200/2.8 IS II I've seen some reports having the date code and some reports not having it. This is bizarre. But I do wonder where is the quote itself. I did not see it in The Digital Journalist.</p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

</p>

<p>Yakim,<br>

My guess is that those who still get lenses with the date code are getting the (relatively) old stock, and the ones who dont are getting a more recent piece. <br>

The vendor from whom they buy might give a decent idea, i believe. The one that I saw was bought from B&H, and did not have it.</p>

<p>Well, he did. I e-mailed him and that was his reply:<br>

<em>"Bryan contacted me directly via e-mail. Here is what I told him: </em><br /><br /><em>"I can confirm that the serial numbers for L-series lenses have shifted to a new 10-digit style as of 2nd-Half 2010 production. However, Canon is not releasing any further information on this topic." </em><br /><br /><em>I'm not at liberty to comment any further on the new style of lens serial numbers. ".</em></p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>