Has anyone used "Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art" for indoor sports?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tony_mcclain|2, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hi,
    I wanted to know if anyone had experience using the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art lens for indoor sports?
    I am thinking, due to the low light capabilities and the typically bad lighting in High School gyms, this lens would be great. But, and there is always a but, the lens is marked with Sigma's "Art" product line.
    Am I over thinking this?
    Tony

2. Tony, I see that you just joined today. Welcome to photo.net.
    The "Art" product line of the 18-35 is not a problem. But for sports the lens has very short focal length , even on a crop sensor. What other lenses would you be carrying to an event?

3. For basketball close to the hoop it would be a great lens. I've taken some nice pictures of my son when he was 11 using a D7100 and 35 f1.8 DX. For longer shots down court it was my Tamron 50-135 f/2.8 DX. The combo was all I ever needed. However, if the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 was available back then I would have used it around the net because you can go wide with that lens.

4. I never used the lens, but just to be clear: the "Art" is the name of Sigma's top line of lenses. It doesn't mean you can only shoot Art with them ;-) So, yes, you might be overthinking that part. But like Hector, I think 18-35 might be a bit short for sports.