Has anyone tried this film?

Films

Its Pricey but is it good film?

While we are at it. The convertible lenses that they offer are interesting.... Not sure why ? They look like my contaflex lenses. I guess if you want the contaflex look with your canon or nikon. :cool:

Neptune Convertible Art Lens System

Maybe they're the bees knees... I just stumbled across the website searching for something else . They offer other strange things too...

Overpriced film from a company that has basically carved out their niche for hipsters shooting out of focus and color shifted photos with light leaks-say it ain't so!

I'm always interested in trying new film stocks, but $9/roll for an ASA 100 roll of 120 B&W film from who knows where(some of the other Lomo films, like the 110 film I've used on occasional, is reportedly made by Lucky in China) is a bit beyond that.

As far as the convertible lens-they're certainly not a new thing, and convertibles are actually somewhat common in older LF lenses. Often, LF lenses by default aren't as high resolution as smaller format lenses-it's hard to make a lens that will cover 4x5 with movements, much less 8x10 or larger, and keep the resolution the same as a lens that only needs to cover 24x36mm or 6x7cm, and you can get away with great technical quality due to the sheer surface area of the film. As far as the lenses from Lomo-that's a lot to pay for relatively slow lenses, especially since there's a plethora of affordable and lightweight prime lenses in all of those mount(more so in Pentax and Nikon than EOS). The aperture plates strike me as gimmicky-at first I thought that the lens was fully set up to use Waterhouse stops, which would make it interesting(albeit not $600 interesting) but it appears as though it has a conventional iris and the weird shapes are just set in front of it.

• Like 3

If your interested in a having a wider selection of films, might I suggest the Ultrafine Xtreme selection of 100 & 400 asa materials, both in 35mm & 120 formats. IMHO they are rebranded Kentmere materials, available from their Ebay site or direct from their California brick n mortar base. I have been using both formats for over 5 years now & find them excellent in my pyro based developers. The kick to your wallet is a lot less then the name brand materials. Aloha, Bill
  • Like 2

If your interested in a having a wider selection of films, might I suggest the Ultrafine Xtreme selection of 100 & 400 asa materials, both in 35mm & 120 formats. IMHO they are rebranded Kentmere materials, available from their Ebay site or direct from their California brick n mortar base. I have been using both formats for over 5 years now & find them excellent in my pyro based developers. The kick to your wallet is a lot less then the name brand materials. Aloha, Bill

Can this film be developed the same as Kodak films? My darkroom is disassembled for now so I've been dropping my film off at a great great lab here in the city.... Ill mention this film to them as well... Thanks - These prices look good... Especially for the 100 ft roll..... Ill have to see if my loader and canisters are still in tact

Crap on Lomography film all you like but it did serve as a gateway drug for not a few shooters who became steady consumers of fresh materials. Because of it, I'd say the company, its film materials and hipster cameras deserve some credit for slowing the calamitous freefall in film consumption. No film is cheap now if you're shopping for fresh material, particularly C-41 products.
  • Like 2

Wade, the UFX products should carry the same data as Kentmere films. I have no idea what all the sites give for time or ratios, since I have worked out my own protocols with my various pyro based developers. If you desire to develop w1955264317_DSCF6463ceff.JPG.1755306e4e59623d051281b81b134974.JPG ithout the "lab", might I suggest my Igloo Cooler. All chems & wash water for a 120 roll or (2) 135-36. Aloha, Bill
  • Like 1

Crap on Lomography film all you like but it did serve as a gateway drug for not a few shooters who became steady consumers of fresh materials. Because of it, I'd say the company, its film materials and hipster cameras deserve some credit for slowing the calamitous freefall in film consumption. No film is cheap now if you're shopping for fresh material, particularly C-41 products.

C41 films are often the lowest price. They come in multiple roll packs (usually 24exposre, though) for a low price.

Not so long ago, I bought a roll of TMZ, a roll of Delta 3200, and a roll of Portra 160.

The Portra was the cheapest of the three.

• Like 1

-- glen

Lomography does have some strange products.

Redscale is color film exposed from the back, which exposes the red and green sensitive layers without the usual filter to block blue.

Also, the blue sensitive layer will be blocked by the filter.

Some might be less known brands remarketed, but others do that, too.

They have 110 film, which is otherwise hard to find.

-- glen