Has anyone switch BACK form mirrorless to SLR?

<p >Some background: Switching from a Nikon D700, I have been using a Sony A7. I love the size and handling when using some old manual FD glass. Files look great, manual focus is super easy, very light packing, lots to like here.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >And while there is so much to love, I miss my Nikons. I just know them well and they have always done exactly what I wanted them to do. I miss the glass too, I loved the look and consistency of the new G primes (though that supposed 24 1.8 needs to come out soon!). Theres just a long list of tiny flaws in the A7 that Sony doesn’t seem intent on fixing that impede my shooting more than I’d like (5-10 second to start up sometimes?). Plus the manual route I’ve taken has some obvious disadvantages.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >On the other hand, I really do love the size of my A7 (Though admittedly I grab my Coolpix A pretty often, and even my tiny A7 stays at home…) and fear that the extra size and weight will make me not want to bring that camera around as much. But again, I am so spoiled sometimes I don’t even feel like bring that out. I feel like I am shooting much less than with my big ol’ D700, even though theA7 is much more portable. Would a D600 + a few primes kill me? (Perhaps its the ergonomics of the Nikons that are drawing me back, they are perfect in my eyes. Nikon has had a long time to develop their craft and refine to over and over and over again, while the Sony feels like a good start. And those lovely full frame viewfinders too...)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Has anyone had any experience switching back form mirrorless? If so how did it go? I’ve been running back and forth about this and I’m curious if anyone else has done the same.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks!</p>

Every once in a while I pick a DSLR up for a while and visualize having to carry it all day, and go back to not missing

DSLRs. Today I shot my father's DF for a while, and it was pretty nice - particularly manual focus using the big finder - but

with the weight and really uncomfortable grip I couldn't get used to it.

<p>I love my Fujifilm XE1 for it's quietness, size and, therefore, portability. Picture quality is damn good as well.<br>

But until they fix the time-delayed, too-dark-for-bright-daylight viewfinder, and general slow responsiveness, I'm giving no thought to dumping the 24x36 Nikon stuff.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't see myself returning to optical viewfinder dSLRs until they're as light and compact as a Nikon FM2N or Olympus OM-1, and offer no-lag live view, and full frame. I do a lot of one-handed shooting with my mirrorless and compact digital cameras for candid people photography, and use the rear LCD about half the time even with my Nikon V1 which has a pretty good EVF. I also use my thumb a lot for the shutter release button with the cameras held vertically/portrait orientation.</p>

<p>Even some smaller dSLRs feel too bulky due to oversized finger/palm swell grips, which can interfere with using my thumb for one-handed vertical orientation. And the rear screen live view can lag a bit too much for candid photos of moving people with the camera held low, high or at odd angles.</p>

<p>I've also become accustomed to the virtually silent shutters. While I'm not being sneaky - folks are usually aware that I'm taking photos - I prefer the quieter operation because it doesn't hinder the flow of conversation in places like small hospital rooms which tend to reinforce the "clack" of a mechanical shutter. Patients with PTSD, neurological or anxiety disorders tend to flinch unconsciously at the sound of a mechanical shutter, even when they know someone is taking photos. It's a little thing but it makes a difference.</p>

<p>Does it really matter what anyone else has done? If you feel like going to the dark side again, go for it. Only your experience counts for this. You know what's involved. Did you sign a pledge to use only one or the other system?) ;>)</p>

<p>N O W A Y<br>

Long time EOS user here. I still use 5Dm3's at work. I can't get over how clunky they feel after shooting with my Sony's this past year. They are still nice cameras with top lenses but I'm not going back for personal use. </p>

<p>Then, I also know how it is to miss the feel of a familiar old camera. Comfortable like a broke in pair of slippers. So no shame in switching back if it suits you, when it suits you. I still shoot with a couple of old rangefinders from the '60s now and again for fun. Fun is the operative word here. It's OK to have a few different cameras/systems and switch around as your whim dictates. It's all good.</p>

<p>Every time I pick up a mirrorless to try them in a store, I miss the ergonomics of my Nikons. I just like optical viewfinders a lot better. There is a lot attractive about some mirrorless systems (I'd be most interested in Fuji), but each and every time I try one, I figure that smaller for me isn't an advantage but just more fiddly. So, I never switched away from the DSLR. For bulk/weight saving, SLRs do some of the trick, without sacrificing the handling aspects (i.e. a Nikon FM2, or the not-very-great-but-featherweight F65).<br />The point on noise Lex makes is very valid, and something I'd probably appreciate frequently - but then again, every time I hear the nearly aggressive loud slap of my F3, I just love the sound and the immediateness of it - it leaves no doubt on what I just did, and part of the fun, somehow (though I also appreciate my Leica R6 being a lot more discrete). It's all just a bunch of preferences and personal ways of experiencing it.<br>

So, I can fully get that others really appreciate loosing the bulk, the manual focus aids and some of the other advantages. There is no right or wrong, neither system is inherently better. Find the camera(s) that you really enjoy using, as it will make making photos more enoyable. And whatever others do, why care? They should be choosing their favourites as they see fit.</p>

<p>For me, no regret. After 15 years of Nikon, I'm still using the AFS 300 f/4 because there's no comparable product on the Sony market. But sooner or later, it will arrive.<br>

Clearly, a part of the evaluation is subjective. I can only tell you that a few weeks ago I had my first winter-sea stroll with mirrorless only ("heavier" configuration: NEX-6 + SEL1670Z, A6000 + SEL70200G). I love strolling on the beach, but each time I pay it with neck aches, so it has never been a 100% good experience. With the mirrorless... everything changed. It was such a joy to get back into my car, after 6km, without a hint of pain.</p>

<p>I know, Barry, things certainly moved on with huge steps and EVFs aren't the lagging peep holes anymore - I realise that. It's not my biggest reason to not move to mirrorless - so far, out of those I tried, they either just don't fit my hands nicely the way I like, or they're not that much smaller that I find it worth switching. I'm not saying I will never go mirrorless, but so far, the right product <em>for me</em> isn't there yet.</p>

<p>When I went mirrorless with my Fuji X-E1, I liked it so much that I assumed the Fuji would displace my Pentax DSLR gear entirely. Over the course of a year, my position moderated. The Fuji is great for some stuff, but my Pentax K5 gets the call when I need speedy AF, low light, high frame rate, and long lenses. It's a losing battle to try and shoot an airshow (or worse, model airplanes) with the Fuji. That really needs to be the K5 with a 400mm lens. And, as much as I love the compact size of the X-E1, it's not REALLY that much smaller than my K5.</p>

<p>If you want to shoot full frame I have very little interest in going to mirrorless simply because the lenses are not so much different in size in the end analysis, and I find a smaller DSLR like the Canon 6D to suit my hands better. Also with their unmatched versatility and keen price it is hard for me change. I have no beef about EVFs, so one day I suspect that I will have a mirrorless cam, but somehow I doubt the one I get will end up much smaller when comparing like for like. Unlike many, I do not see mirrorless as such a revolution, the revolution is the increase in quality of small size sensors, so m4/3 or APS-C mirrorless are more interesting to me in the future. I assume one day Canon will produce an EOS mount FF mirrorless (c.f Sony A99), which I might end up getting.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I haven't switched away from DSLRs - but also use a Sony A7. It's fun with small manual focus lenses (I find manual focusing using the EVF aids easier than using the focusing screen of a DSLR) - I have no AF lenses for the Sony. I use both Nikon DX and FX bodies - and have toyed with the idea of giving up Nikon FX in favor of the Sony system someday. The 16-35/4 and 70-200/4 would cover the majority of what I use FX for - but I would dearly miss a few primes that I currently use on my Nikon. And there is no substituting my DX Nikon, primarly used with a 80-400. Also, to me there's little sense in shrinking the camera body while many lenses out of necessity will stay quite large - it creates an imbalance and severely affects handling. In addition - DSLRs have gotten a lot lighter lightly, so the weight advantage of mirrorless has diminished. </p>

<p>I'm not about to get rid of my D3 kit, even though I haven't used it much for the last six months. The Nikon is instantly awake, has no perceptible shutter lag, and can take nearly 1000 images on one battery charge. Since mid-December, I've used a Sony A7ii along with a Leica M-9 and a set of Leica and Zeiss lenses. I may get a zoom for the Sony (e.g., a Zeiss 24-70/4), because it's hard to follow action with manual focusing when wide open. For now, though, the Nikon is there if I need zooms, auto focus, super-wide and long lenses.</p>

<p>I recently shot a formal group photo of a symphony orchestra, using the Sony A7ii and a Summicron 50/2. It's sharp down to counting hairs and wrinkles, and will be used on programs and posters for the orchestra. You get spoiled using great lenses in a small package.</p>

<p>Long time Nikon user who now has an X-E2 and X100S. Both are very nice cameras, lightweight, fun to use, and produce good quality images. I do appreciate their size and weight, but not planning to get rid of my D700 any time soon.</p>

<p>When I am faced with a 'can't do over' photographic task, it's the Nikon I go to, as I'm most familiar with it, and know that it will work and focus for action, low light, etc. The Fujis aren't quite to that level yet for me.</p>

<p>I use both, as they are tools that have a distinct purpose for my kind of photography. I still shoot 90% of my work photos with my Nikon D3s and my SB900 flash, It really does the job that I need it to do. I also shoot a lot of my personal photos with the Sony NEX7 as its light and gives you very nice photos with my longer Nikon glass, as well as the 16mm 2.8 lens that is very good. I would not want to have to shoot all my photos with only one system. Then again I still shoot B&W film at times, because that gives me the look I want in certain photos. </p>

<p>I kept my Pentax kit and have Leica M & basic budged Fujis to choose from too. - Everything has strengths & weaknesses. While the Fujis produce great JPGs their finderlag and AF performance render them rather dissappointing indoors and they also don't stack prime speed with OIS. The Leica seems great for manually focusing short lenses and the primes appear pretty decent but it also demands RAW file tweaking and a serious 2nd or 3rd body are out of my price range for now. For walking around and taking an odd color shot of a rather static &/ well lit subject once in a while the Fujis seem OK and light enough to come along with the Leica. For AF and extremely low light the Pentaxes seem my best choice so far. They can also score "as most dispensable system camera", if you ask what I'd place on my unattended beach towel. but that fact doesn't do them justice.<br>

And no, I haven't narrowed down my horizon on a next camera system to get. - Right now its a race between MFT and Nikon and I'll have to wait a year to earn something decent and read reviews, assuming I don't spend more on nice pieces for the current systems. <br>

Back to the initial question: I don't see it as "either or" - I rather suggest mixing and matching. Which focal length shouts for what?</p>

<p>My nice loud D800E with 85mm f/1.8 caught the attention of my 6 month old grandson much better than the almost silent Fuji X T-1 with the 56mm f/1.2, AND focused quite a bit faster! I am among those who struggle with the big DSLR vs small(er) mirrorless question. There's no question I can get superb images from my Fuji at the sizes I print (up to 13x20), and when I want to hike with a few lenses it's a no brainer, but when I'm near the car or in the studio where I can take my time, the lovely Nikon and a PC-E lens is a joy. I am fortunate that I needn't choose, except when I leave the house. I have a rule that I NEVER take more than one camera system out. This rule came about when I was at a workshop in Monument Valley years ago and took, believe it or not, my Arca 4x5, Hasselblad, AND Nikon D200. It was a disaster as you can easily imagine. FWIW there's a similar thread on the Luminous Landscape forum, http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=97513.0</p>

<p>I haven't used my Canon kit since I got into M4/3. I now have a Sony A7, Fuji X-E1 and Oly Em1 all for different purposes. The Oly Em-1 is a good as any SLR I have used except I would not push the print size beyond 13"x19". The Sony A7 is great with old MF primes and beats Canon FF for IQ at least for what I shoot, and the Fuji gives me a small system built around quality zooms with excellent IQ.<br>

I can't see myself ever going back to Canon unless they build a FF mirrorless with the functionality of the EM-1, which they sure as heck don't look like doing. I really should sell my remaining Canon glass, sigh!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I had a Nikon D700 bought second hand and then spent time with micro fourthirds before settling on a Fuji X-E1. I am fortunate inasmuch as I seldom shoot real action although even for casual portraits the X-E1 sometimes can't get the shot when someone is moving around. However, the IQ, particularly with the primes is in general as good as I could wish for which in the end was not quite the case with my Olympus E-M5.<br>

Would I go back to something like the D700? Well there were 3 things that stopped me hanging onto this camera for more than a year --I'd originally expected 5! One was the weight which I should have anticipated, the second was forever having to clean the sensor which I haven't had to do once with mirrorless and the third was that my best lenses were actually AIS primes (which I still use with my Fuji) which somehow defeated the purpose of having a camera with fast AF as I couldn't afford modern pro-level AF lenses. <br>

No, I think that by the time I may need more responsive AF, it will already be available with Fuji (the X-T1 is already pretty close and the next generation will further raise the bar) and there's nothing else I can think of which could tempt me back to a clattering mirror -- an EVF is actually much more useful than an OVF when it's of good enough quality.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I went back. But I have an olympus for my carry camera and a nikon for portrait. I liked the quality of the Sony cameras, but I just didn't have fun with them. That joy immediatey returned with the Nikon. Wish I could give you a good reason, but it just shoots easier.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brandon R.
I went back to DSLR. I shot for 2+ years with the Sony A7R and A7rii, but I just bought a Nikon D810, because of one thing- cleaning. It sounds so dumb, but Mirrorless cameras are so easy to get dust on the sensors and they are really easy to harm. I got really tired of the high cost of getting them professionally cleaned, or risking scratching the sensor cleaning myself. I had an A7 that I cleaned with the high cost Arctic Butterfly, and the $150.00 brush scratched the sensor. I decided that I missed DSLRS for shooting landscapes and big action shots, which is what I do. I still have an a6000 and water housing for surf photography, but for the land its all about my D810!