Has anyone Swapped out the focus screen on their e-620?

rdm

<p>Well i finally did it. I purchases a digital SLR camera; And it was an E-620. Actually i purchased it by accident but thats another story. Point is, that its on its way and i plan to be using all my Manual focus glass with it. I have done my research and knew for some time now that on all the other Evolt cameras that switching focus screens to the split prism (cats eye) type would be the best for using Manual focus lenses. However went i was searching the auction sites on Monday for one, they was none listed for the e-620. I did a google search for the e-620 and focus screen and came up with a couple sites. and one that talked in-depth about using the e-620 and manual focus lenses. All the other sites said nothing about the install of a new screen, and the in-depth site on the 620 i found said you can at all , don't do it and don't believe people selling screens that say they will fit, there is no room to install without taking the camera apart and you will damage your camera.. Well i had the "split focus screen e-620" key words saved as a search and got notified the other day that 2 sellers were listing them. I emailed one Chinese seller, someone whose name i seen mentioned on here several times before . I asked if he had any instructions or photos specifically for the e-620 because i was told it would not fit "that there is no room to install without taking the camera apart." He simply replied, 'I have no photos or instructions for that camera, i don't know maybe it wont work.' He still have screens for the E620 listed and i want to know; Does anyone have a split screen installed in their camera? Or is it true you cannot install one?</p>

<p>I have an E-620 and I am not aware that the focusing screen can be changed. I have an E-3 as well and I changed the screen on that one to the grid one. That needed to be done at Olympus service center. It is easy to cause serious damage if you don't know what you are doing. The alignment of the new screen may also be off unless it is meant to be changed by the user, which is not the case in Olympus digital SLRs. I would ask the official Olympus service center in your country if it is possible to fit an E-3/E-5 screen in it, but I doubt it is possible.</p>

<p>Well i understand that olympus provides alternate screens for some of there cameras , But I am talking about the Aftermarket <strong>split prism screens</strong> that people have been using for years in all the other Evolt models and changing them out themselves without incident. There are many videos on the other models of people changing them. I was wondering about the new E-620 tho.</p>

<p>I would like to know also. I've heard so many conflicting reports on this one.</p>

<p>It appears the e620 has a slightly different screen due to the larger OVF and tighter form factor of the camera which makes it awkward to produce and install focusing screens for it.</p>

<p>However, I have heard reports from some who say they have successfully managed to get one of the ebay screens into their e620.</p>

<p>I guess the only way to find out is to buy one of the cheap ebay screens and see if it fits. If it doesn't, maybe some minor DIY will get it to fit. I'd wager anything is possible with enough patience.</p>

<p>It would be a real shame if we couldn't get this working; the 620 is the most capable of the small Oly SLRs and being so 'OM' like in size it's a great transition from film to digital - if only it was easier to focus MF lenses on it.</p>

<p>D</p>