Has anyone ever seen the Canon 200EG Back Pack?

canon man

Since the purchase off my 70-200 2.8 L My gear seems to have outgrown

my bag. I have been looking at the Lowepro MicroTrekker 200 besause

thecamera wit ha 70-200 2.8 will fit in the center of the top of the

bag, and I will be able to carry it over my shoulder wit hgood

balence. I was wondering if the Canon Bag has a similar pocket

configuration. I can't seem to find a picture of the bag open, so all

I have to go by is what it says it will carry, which is the same as

the LowePro. But that doesn't necassarilly mean the pockets are in

the same configuration. I want a back pack this size as it will hold

what I need but isn't overly large, and it looks liek the camera can

be accessed fairly easy.

I've seen both Canon photobacks, video and photo bags at Shirokiya (Japanese department store in Honolulu). They were made so-so but were very poorly designed. I got the impression that nobody at Canon actually checked to see if their bags were good for carrying gear. But, who knows, maybe Canon pulled the stops out on this one. Go look at one. I'd get the Lowepro in a heartbeat.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hi Daniel,

Camera bag brand questions can almost be as bad as Canon vs Nikon questions. I was not going to post, but then I remember you commenting somewhere you have a bad back. That makes two of us. So I thought I would share some of my experience with camera bags as it relates to a BAD back.

I have and like Lowepro pro camera bags. But I would not give $20 bucks for their backpacks. The layout with the camera at the top makes the bag a little top heavy. On all but the largest pack, the waist straps seem (and are) like they are crossing the ribs. The harness systems are lacking. Domke's latest line of backpack is the closest I've found yet to a camera bag/backpack combo that was ok for a BAD back, but the price is outrageous. And they are heavy themselves.

Try Kinesis at http://www.kinesisgear.com You should be able to find a backpack or belt system that fits your needs and your lumbar liability. Good luck.

The reason I was looking at the lowepro was for the fact that the camera goes on top. Bear with me while I explain. I hope I am looking at this right. The only reason my surgeon did not fuse me is because my back is so strong. In fact a set of spreaders was broke when opening my back strap. My freind who works in the tool cleaning division of Sacred Heart told me that the set of Spreaders used on me came back broken and had to be cleaned and trhown out. My MRI did not show all the damage because I had lived wit hit so long continuieng on with thegrueling labor that caused it I did not notice it until I was laid off.Apparently scar tissue had masked a lot of the damage. I guess it had been like that for a few years before I noticed it. NOw obviously that degree of scar tissue leaves one hating life, and for that matter I continue with strong opiates to deal with the agony, but they work well enough that I can do a few things, providing ofcourse I do my part and be careful and plan movements, and ofcourse come up with different methods to balance things across both shoulders. The 70-200 2.8 L changed all that . It is a fairly heavy peice of equipment but my god its necassary. I have had it for 3 days now and I know I can't part with it! I figured that withthe camera centered in a pack taht I could carry higher up in a position that would drape its weight down the length of my body while being carried on one shoulder. I started school finding that I could not carry my books in a back pack on my back, but if I swapped back and forth between both shoulders I was alright, for the most part. Weight is weight after all. Now I realize I very well could be wrong with this assumption though. That is also why I chose one of the smaller back packs. I don't plan on carrying a studio with me, just a camera with the bazooka mounted, another with a 50 and my flashes and film, and the necassary cleaning equipment and the like. I would prefer to find away to balance things, but the addition of the bazooka canges the dynamics here. Charles, what do you use? This could be very important for others in our situation who need to carry a certain amount of gear, while keeping things centered or at least bearable to reduse the probability of additional wear on the body. I am sure you know that once it starts it just keeps going. I have found that resting often helps, but we still have to carry some things, and proper organization can reduse the amount of time one has to spend resting to either subside, or prevent potiential spasms.

Thanks,

Daniel

Daniel,

i have a canon backpack but am not sure what model it is. if you can give a website i will check it out and see if it is the same as mine. the short review on mine is, good looking, light duty, not very easy access to top or bottom compartments, not very good interior adjustments, lot's of places to put straps on the sides and bottom but only 2 straps come with it. i don't think i would get annother one because it just dosen't fit my equipment very well. but like i said it looks good!

Daniel, I would strongly echo the suggestion of looking into kinesis' belt setups. Sure, maybe you have a strong back, but if you've had problems and surgery, then even better not to stress it at all surely? The belt packs put the weight of the camera gear on your hips. You have a lower centre of gravity, good balance (assuming you pack the belt properly)...you can carry the weight much further without noticing it so much.

I have a very small stature (105lbs), so I really notice the gear. I have used belt systems to carry my gear (eos 3, 4 lenses including 300 F4L IS, teleconverter) over 15 miles in a day, and I could not have done it with a backpack.

Point taken Isaac. I don't know what the hell I was thinkin. The days of being able to pack 200lbs on my shoulders are truly gone. That was about a max, and not consistent, put it wasdefinetly part of the line of work for so many years. I had originally been working along the lines of a harness, but It will probably mean that I will have to engineer a way for me to carry this camera/lens combo safely both for it and me. Thats 1400 dollarslens, camera, and flash. A lot is riding on the equipment. I imagine I am going to have to devise a way to effectively store three sytems in a Jeep Wagoneer also. I like the kenesis system, and should be considered after I secure a way to trasport it sefaly.

I must go, I have no pain medication, and for the past two days have been living with the consecquinses of a life time of hard choices. It sucks. I think I'll lay down now.