Has any one tried the E-series lens from Nikon on a G1 or EP1?

cc_chang2

<p>Just curious if any one did. These E-lenses are quite compact with good IQ for its size. They are much smaller than the typical Nikkor AI or AIS lens. I thus wonder how well they perform on either camera, especially when comparing to the "pancake" lenses from Oly.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>These E-lenses are quite compact with <em><strong>good IQ for its size</strong> .</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is the key. You must consider the fact that the G1 and the E-P1 are 12mp cameras.</p>

<p>When going from a D70 (6mp) to a D200 (10mp), the E-lenses start to fall apart (quality wise).<br>

Even with the APS-C size sensor, on a D300, all E-lenses become undesirable.</p>

<p>If you want excellent image quality and compactness in manual focus lenses, look into the pen F lenses.<br>

They are also faster, much faster than E-lenses.</p>

<p>I disagree that all E-series lenses become undesireable on a small 12 MP sensor. I would say that there are 3 standouts that don't:</p>

<p>The 50mm f1.8, the 100mm f2.8, and the 70-150mm f3.5 zooms are optically EXCELLENT lenses by any standards, even when compared to their much more costly Nikkor brothers. I've used these on an E-520 with no problems at all. I'd be pretty surprised if the jump from 10 MP 4/3 to 12 MP 4/3 made much difference. The one that I think is especially worth the effort is the 100mm f2.8.</p>

<p>The 28mm, 35mm, and 70-210mm lenses probably can't cut it on a small, pixel dense sensor, but the top 3 are pretty darn good.</p>

<p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 28mm, 35mm, and 70-210mm lenses probably can't cut it on a small, pixel dense sensor, but the top 3 are pretty darn good.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

Oh No, as I am most interested in the 28mm ... But, would it be worse than the 25mm pancake from Olympus?

</p>

<p>I tested the Series E 50/1.8 on an E-300 and got a bright spot in the centre of the image at small apertures (became quite noticeable at f11 if I remember correctly), so this will probably be a problem with any m4/3 body too. The effect is due to reflections bouncing between the sensor and rear lens element(s).</p>