Has Annie Leibovitz changed camps (Canon - Nikon)?

<p>I've only seen Annie Leibovitz on two shoots over the past 5 years or so. Both times she used both DSLR (Canon Ds2/3) and MF bodies.<br /> <br /> Lately I've seen (Press Photos and even the ProPhoto Video) that she is using Nikon D3 instead of the Canon Ds3. <br /> <br /> Just curious - anyone heard anything about a possible change of preference for Ms. Leibovitz?</p>

<p>"...the best..." is like the "correct" exposure. Your mileage will vary. If you need a security blanket, get a brace of big, toaster-sized EOS-1ds and lotsa "L" lenses. Maybe a healthy assistant to drag the hoard. When Leibowitz went to the Balkans (probably the best work she ever did) she took Contaxes. Back in the Rolling Stone day, it was Nikons. Most of her work recently is with an RZ67, nowadays with a digi back. Larry Cooper had it right, who cares? Lots of people can afford anything, and they're not all hunchbacks under a gaggle, or is it giggle, of "L" lenses. Use whatever makes you happy. Be happy with what you're using.</p>

<p>Terry Richardson, who makes enough to buy anything he (and you) wants, buys and uses totally declasse', unholy, retarded, fossil film P&S cameras to shoot things like the Gucci account, and other equally lucrative and hard-to-get ones. And he uses the built-in flashes too (mortal sin!).</p>

<p>We'd better tell him to upgrade before someone notices! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Why sell? Just buy both. Whatever works. I use both, though I have more Nikon "system". I always liken it to not being willing to buy a particular Stanley tool because the rest of your toolkit is Craftsman. Who cares so long as Stanley has the right tool for the job. Over the years I've seen her with Hasselblad and Mamiya. Leica and Nikon and Canon.</p>

<p>At first I thought this thread was about something else entirely. Silly me.</p>

<p>re Wm. Livingston's comment:<br>

I am sure that like most professional photographers, Annie Leibovitz wants to spend as little on gear as possible. Whether photographic gear companies give her gear in exchange for her merely using it is very debatable. Most likely if see her or one of her shots in an ad for whatever ( as she has been featured in Profoto & Mamiya campaigns) there likely is a trade out going on.</p>

<p>She's using a D3 at the moment and no, she won't endorse any manufacturer - for obvious reasons.<br>

When you get to her level of pro status, the camera is only a tiny part of the creation. I was fortunate enough to sit in on an interview with her in 2008 and she was asked about her equipment. She retorted: "for what picture?". She confessed that the best images she ever got were from large format slides, and it depends on what she is shooting and what format the publisher prefers.<br>

She also made a comment that each lens she uses "has its own <br /> color", and depending on the subject and the image she wants to end up with, this will dictate the final choice of equipment. So its nothing to do with brand loyalty. Of preferences, she said that the two top 35mm digital brands are so close now, that it's becoming irrelevant to the argument.</p>

<p>Well gosh, we've already batted that "lens color" thing around here on P-Net and many of the "in the know" photogs advised that "lenses don't have inherent color"...so guess we can eliminate Annie L. as a serious photographer since she obviously doesn't know what she is doing...<br /> <br /> I wonder if Ashton Kutcher is still exclusive with Nikon?</p>