Happy New Year & Likely Goodbye

To all my Photo.net Friends and even foes - my membership expires at Midnight. Communications an issue - mailed a check, no response. Wish y'all well. As Spock used to say "Live Long & Prosper"! Sandy

I'm not the most active person on this site but I'd sure hate to see you go.

• Like 4

Dear Sandy,

Don't go. After much disappointment with the "upgraded" site, and shortly after some members complained about automatic renewals, I became a non-paying member. I wasn't using any of the paid services anyway and hardly participated. The change to non-paying status was marvelous. How could I resent the poor design, the departure of some great photographers and people if I wasn't even paying? What gave me the right to complain about bugs if I wasn't even putting in money for someone to fix them?

I started to participate much more, almost exclusively in "No Words." I enjoy that.

I've disagreed with you at times, but appreciate you very much and what you've done for photo.net. I would hate to see you go.

Come to think of it, since you're putting in a lot of time moderating, you shouldn't be paying at all!

Happy New Year and all the best,

Hector

• Like 5

Happy New Year!

Your message is a little cryptic, though. Surely you are aware that you don't have to subscribe to use photo.net?

And "Mail a check" - is that even possible? Or is it just a way of speaking?

I think it is almost a decade ago since banks in my country stopped issuing private check books - If I absolutely need a check, I need to physically go to the bank and have them issue an official bank check (and pay a hefty fee for the service).

Anyway, if the owners of the site fail to renew paying memberships, I am a little worried for the future of the site. Not that there is a lack of photo themed forums out there, but I have been a member since 1997 (22 internet years is like 175 human years) and it kind of feels special even though I haven't used the site much in the past 10 years or so.

• Like 1
Niels

Although everyone bemoans the lack of vision and plan for, investment in and support for PN, I too hope you don't leave just yet. I couldn't blame you at all for casting off your magical 'moderator cape'. But you could of course just hang around (like me) as a non-paying member until PN finally grinds to a halt. If you do decide to leave, do it it with my thanks for your positive 'presence' on PN over the years together with @williammichael. You've both done good work under very difficult circumstances.

Whichever way you go, "Live Long & Prosper"!

Mike

To all my Photo.net Friends and even foes - my membership expires at Midnight. Communications an issue - mailed a check, no response. Wish y'all well. As Spock used to say "Live Long & Prosper"! Sandy
  • Like 2

Sandy, you stepped up when it appeared that no one in Admin was listening. Since then, you have served as a ray of sunshine in addressing some of our concerns. You did so with both honesty and integrity. I join with the others in asking you to reconsider your decision to leave the site.
  • Like 5

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. So far, nothing seems to have changed. Have to see what the morning brings. Have mostly been hanging around to do what little I can with the tools I have to help the site. If I retain the Moderator tools, I will continue to do that. Photographically speaking, Winter slows me down quite a bit, so I don't have much new to post. In any case, I'll probably keep track of what is going on here - Paid or Unpaid.
  • Like 5

Hi Sandy,

I'm kinda new here, and blissfully unaware- having missed all the changes, the hubbub, & whatever-it-was that people talk (and complain) about. I'm happy to be here, tho and sort of "see" that you at least pay some attention to what's going on around here. I'd just like to say happy new year to you, and best wishes no matter what.

Cheers, man!

Tom

• Like 5

"Back in my day" mods and admins got free premium membership...I still have an email from Josh Root tucked back from '08 or so saying that everyone who was then a moderator was set through 2025 or something like that. I guess that went away with the switch to Pnet 2.0 though, and I doubt many active folks here even remember Josh. Even if those of us who are no longer after as mods/admins lost it, it makes good sense to me to keep it for the ones who are still doing it.

Sandy, as I said I know we've butted heads but you do a good job keeping the ship righted with the resources you have. I hate to see you go, but certainly understand.

• Like 1

I go back to before they separated out an "archived" forum from an "unarchived" one, the second for beginners and more transient questions. I've seen a lot of productive input and a few silly seasons too. Clearly no-one has thought what the modern photographer needs, with some forums for specific software, some for tricks of the trade and a few for the human touch. Is it like seeing an old respected teacher sitting on a park bench, wine in a bag, missing some teeth?

Thanks for your efforts, Sandy.

• Like 1

"Back in my day" mods and admins got free premium membership...I still have an email from Josh Root tucked back from '08 or so saying that everyone who was then a moderator was set through 2025 or something like that. I guess that went away with the switch to Pnet 2.0 though, and I doubt many active folks here even remember Josh. Even if those of us who are no longer after as mods/admins lost it, it makes good sense to me to keep it for the ones who are still doing it.

Sandy, as I said I know we've butted heads but you do a good job keeping the ship righted with the resources you have. I hate to see you go, but certainly understand.

Ben, I too am a veteran of PN and do recall Josh's assurances. Sandy should be a beneficiary of those, given the time he's put in trying to get issues resolved.

Just thought I'd check in - it's been about 17 months since I lost all my Nikon gear in a fire - and I see nothing has really changed. P.net still here but shrouded in a cloak of uncertainty, as always since 'the change'.

Just thought I'd check in - it's been about 17 months since I lost all my Nikon gear in a fire - and I see nothing has really changed. P.net still here but shrouded in a cloak of uncertainty, as always since 'the change'.

Bad luck - I feel for you. Happened to me - lost books, equipment, loads of rare vinyl (which the firemen said probably made the fire worse - such sympathy), family memorabilia, etc but no one injured, and no pets harmed, so all in all could have been a lot worse. Even the demented ferret enjoyed chasing the water from the fireman's hose.

As for PN, who knows ?

Edited by Tony Parsons