Haoda 5D-B screen: experiences?

asher

<p align="justify">

I know some are a bit withdrawn if to describe the positive experiences with generic product X or Y as not to function as hidden ad-man. In my opinion if you can help fellow-photographer to be more wiser about a product, why not? So, Asher, I have no experience with Haoda 5D-B screen you mentioned, but in the past I had 3 Haoda screens for respectively 2x 300D and 1x 10D so that I could work with my adapted Contax Carl Zeiss MF lenses. All I can say is that Haoda screen is one of the better generic products you can rely on at that time. No doubt about this.</p>

Asher:

I use the Ec-B in my Canon EOS 1 film camera. This is the exact same screen. Haoda just grinds is down so it will fit in the 5D tray. On the 1 this screen is fantastic. Just like my old Minoltas. I do wish it had a microprisim ring around the split though.

I just ordered the 5D-B for these reasons for my 5D. I also ordered the diagonal for my 30D. As there was no change in metering on the 1 I anticipate no problem on the 5D. But you could always changet the screen selection in cf. Since Haoda recently dropped thier price from $205 to $125 on the 5DB I couldn't resist. The 30D one was only $80.

If I were you I'd jump on this before that speical pricing expires, if it does.

Baivab:

No it will not fit. That is what Haoda does. He finds a screen that is a compatibly optically and grinds it down (precision machinery I"m sure) to fit current digital models. Check his site.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE<p>

I just received my Haoda 5D-B screen yesterday. Installation into the 5D was really easy. The screen came in a

hard plastic case within Canon-branded box. Also included: Canon installation instructions, and a plastic tool to

remove and install screens safely. The entire procedure took only a few minutes, with no problems (my first time

changing a screen on the 5D). My old screen is now stored safely in the hard plastic case.<p>

The screen functions beautifully on test shots, shooting wide open at f1.4. Manual focus matches AF perfectly,

and I did not need to change the screen setting in the custom functions (remains on EC-A).