"Hands On" Leica M9 review incl ISO test (en francais)

bms

<p>thought that might be of interest here<br>

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-98/leica-m9-test-prise-en-main-2.html</p>

<p>and noise</p>

<p>http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-98/leica-m9-test-bruit-electronique-12.html</p>

<p>with downloadable DNGs</p>

<p>Their bottom line (thanks to google translate and my high school French)</p>

<blockquote>

We greatly appreciate the presence of 24x36 cm sensor which allows to use the Leica M without crop factor. We like the system of optical correction and the possibility to use older, uncoded lenses. Finally, we find the button for direct access to the ISO really useful. The first high-sensitivity tests seem very promising and we find the price positioning of the Leica M9 certainly placed high, but reasonable for the brand.

</blockquote>

<p>Merci, Benjamin. The reviewer found the screen to be not sufficiently on par with the better DSLR screens (resolution, colour fidelity), something Leica has apparently missed the boat on, and he found the optical VF more difficult to use than that of the M8/8.2 (in the sense that it is hard to see the full field presented by wide angle lenses, and he would have liked more space about those frames, especially for eyeglass users; not as much a problem with the M8, which of course has limited very wide angle lens frame lines). He liked the ISO button and the commandable compensation for lenses (without needing the 6-bit code for most of the corrections).</p>

<p>Little info on the imaging performance, but this was an early review. He mentioned that his unit had the sapphire glass on the screen, but apparently others have indicated elsewhere that this had not been added to the M9.</p>

<p>I was rather unimpressed by the example M9 DNG files offered by the French reviewer as viewed at 100%.</p>

<p>Sure, these are quick snapshots from outside the camera store, but still I'd expect at least a hint of the greatness implied by the price tag. I was especially disturbed by the softness everywhere and the considerable color fringing (just look at the contours of the people in the ISO 80 shot, for example). My Canon G10 can do better than this.</p>

<p>I'm currently using both the M8 and M9.</p>

<p>For the type of applications I encounter (mostly candid journalistic weddings), the dedicated ISO button is not overrated IMO. I've already come to appreciate this feature in rapidly changing lighting conditions ... like moving from indoors to outdoors on the run. Also, the ISO range is more segmented with the M9 allowing more precise refinements, rather than jumping from 640 to 1250 for example.</p>

<p>So far I haven't experienced "softness" mention above ... quite the contrary. If there is color fringing in higher contrast areas ... like with the 24/1.4 ASPH, that is the characteristic of the lens which has been freely admitted by Leica as a consequence of such a wide fast rangefinder lens, and is easily dealt with in LR or C1 de-fringing tools.</p>

<p>Noise is still present but it seems reduced by about a stop compared to the M8. ISO 800 and 1000 are quite good and places this camera into a bit more useable range for my specific applications where I rarely go beyond 1000 or 1250 with any camera. This is a CCD sensor and provides the IQ one would expect from a M, but the consequence is less performance at the higher ISOs.</p>

<p>So, reactions to the M9 features and performance will depend a great deal on your specific applications. </p>

<p> </p>