Handheld Exposure Meter

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by danac, Aug 17, 2021.

1. According to this, the 608 has hidden talents...Hilarious!

https://www.amazon.ca/Sekonic-L-608-Master-Digital-Incident/dp/B0000BZMOF

AJG and Giovanni Cappai like this.
  2. Here is a situation that I normally would want a reflected, preferably spot meter:

Meter_Sample.JPG
    This is a digital file taken with a Sony A7, which I was only using as a meter reference. The final film image is not with the same FOV, but I can't show it because it's not processed yet.

I'd like to expose the leaf in the middle, which is back lit by morning sun. Ideally, I'd just spot meter it, set the value to middle bright (~50% grey) and let the rest fall to shadow. With the Digital camera, I can change the exposure compensation until I get the desired exposure (-2EV), and used that setting (8/125). Since I was at home, I grabbed my Gossen Sixtomat, and in reflected mode (40 deg mode) it gave me 5.6/125 (pretty close) and in incident mode, it read ~3.5/125. If I took the Gossen out into the sun (in this case, that was ~100m from where I setup), I got an incident reading of ~6.7/125, which is pretty close, even taking into account my Sixtomat reads ~1/2 high compared to my other meters.

If I was shooting chrome, I would have spot metered it. But I shoot negatives now, and the above exposure setting is close enough.

kmac and laurencecochrane like this.