Handful of questions on the 80-200mm f/2.8L

scrivyscriv

<p>First - what's the part name for the tripod ring? <br>

Secondly, can someone point me towards a genuine Canon, non-Chinese 3rd party tripod ring source? B&H, KEH and Adorama didn't have 'em and eB&y only has 3rd party, as of this posting 9/28/09.<br>

Third, does anyone have a PDF link to the lens parts list?<br>

Lastly, what exactly keeps this lens from being compatible with TC's? I just read on wikipedia that L lenses have three extra EF contacts for TC's, which aren't present on The Magic Drainpipe. Is that the reason for incompatibility? I don't really shoot TCs on zooms, so this is more of a theoretical question, but it has intrigued me for a while now.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance all!</p>

<p>I think it is called tripod mounting ring A - look here for details - <a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00GRAc">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00GRAc</a><br>

The problem with using it with Canon teleconverters is simply that the rear element physically clashes with the teleconverter front lens. I think some third party teleconverters are OK.</p>

<p>Robert good luck with Canon - their parts policy appears to have changed over the years - as does their staff knowledge. I tried to get a part for an EOS 1V (a camera that they technically still sell and is listed on their website). It took about 4 months before the part appeared from Japan and the US side of cannon was completely useless having no spares and it took 4 calls to find someone who even knew the EOS1V was a Cannon camera. With a lens from the late 80s / early 90s you may be even more challenged.</p>

<p>The ring that I got with my magic drainpipe also works on my 70-200/4L. My Tamron 1.4x works with the lens also. (I've got the more expensive one) Some people claim there is little quality loss with that combination. I haven't tested that enough to comment, but I know it works. The drainpipe alone is a wonderful lens on my 5D.</p>

<p>No I am not kidding - I damaged the grip on one of my 1Vs (the other has the PB-E2 attached). I went into Vistek (Canadian Pro dealer) to get a replacement and they tried for two week with no luck. The did manage to give me a photocopy of their parts list so i had the number of the part. I then tried directly (I was initially rather annoy3ed that Vistek had given up) and after perhaps 10 phone calls totalling about 3 hours I understood why Vistek gave up. My advice is that if you find someone in canon north America that knows what you are talking about get their name and direct line - I used to have conversation where i referred them to their own web site so they could see that they made and sold the camera. Since the body was only launched in 2002 I was amazed but their technical help area appear to have one all digital faster than their sales department!</p>