"Hama Self Timer 1" for M6 TTL Question...

james_.1

Do I need to order the "Cable Release Adapter for Leica Cameras with

External Cable Release Thread" for the "Hama Self Timer 1"? The

adapter is stated by B&H for "early Leica cameras with external

cable release thread".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?

FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___89941___HAST___REG___CatID=

4948___SID=F4516AC01A0

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?

FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___89916___HACRALQ___REG___Cat

ID=4948___SID=F4516AC01A0

Thanks for the info Hama users. I do believe the General Brand that

includes the Leica Adapter is the same thing as the Hama brand, but

unfortunately they don't have any in stock.

Leica IIIC and later bodies had a larger collar; the adapter culd be screwed down iside it without removing it. The same system was used on older Canon screw mount bodies, and other Leica copies. Yashica twin lens reflex cameras and Nikon rangefinder and early SLR cameras also required the adapter. If it was just Leica cameras in need of them they wouldn't be so easy to find!

I got one of these from B&H but have never used it because there is a risk of buggering the shutter button mechanism if the metal rod coming out of the self-timer is too long for receiving shaft of the shutter orifice. I hope this makes sense. You need to experiment with the length of the self-timer thingo.

To repeat Vic a bit, this story was last discussed about 2-3 weeks ago. This Hama thingy -- weighing in around 34-40 US$ -- is easy to buy/order almost anywhere. But you DO (that's my shouting again) have to file down the nail that gets shoved into the camera because if you don't, it might stay there and become hard to yank out. I'm afraid this means that if you REALLY DO need/want to have a self timer, then you'd be better off buying an old M3 etc instead. Honestly.

Hmn, the adjustability is .12" to .32". I planned to start with my M6 without film and use the .12" setting and go from there in short increments until the shutter is fired. Is .12" still too long for the M6 to cope with?

Watch ebay for a Kodak Auto Cable Release. It attaches to your cable release. It is wound up and has the usual clockwork mechanism to operate the release. When it runs down, it depresses the cable release slowly and makes the exposure. Adjustable for stroke distance. Cheap.