"Hall of Fame" modern film cameras

DWScott

<p>I want to say I like the idea of this forum. I also appreciate that it crosses all brands/mounts/etc. I love all film cameras, and appreciate that there is a place to easily discuss many different kinds of "modern" film cameras.<br>

I think we should take nominations for the Hall of Fame in modern film cameras. Feel free to nominate your favourites ... or give a nod to the "almost greats".<br>

To start things off, I nominate:</p>

<ul>

<li>Nikon F100 - it's really as big a camera as I want to carry in 35mm. Stunningly well built. A feeling of speed and precision that has to be experienced to be appreciated. And featuring the most modern of Nikon's film camera interfaces (you digital shooters will be right at home.)</li>

<li>Pentax MZ-S - Pentax's final film flagship. It is tiny, quirky, and a joy to shoot with. The truly unique digital control interface (with big dials rotating around displays on the top, and the use of traditional aperture ring lenses) does a great job of "getting out of the way." If aperture rings were more ubiquitous, continuing this interface would help Pentax's image of offering a unique product. Other Pentax specialties are present here as well -- small body size, huge viewfinder, good build quality. The MZ-S is to the F100 as a Porsche is to a top-of-the-line Corvette - small, nimble, quirky and not really as fast.</li>

</ul>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have to say, I have been lurking for about two weeks now and it was THIS THREAD that motivated me enough to actually register just so I could post my reply. I will post a proper introduction of myself in the "new members" thread shortly; but, I have to put my two cents in here.<br>

I second the nomination of the F100 into the H.O.F. (I also think that the N80 needs serious consideration as pound-for-pound was quite similar to the F100 in a smaller, less menacing body).<br>

I would also like to nominate the Pentax K-1000! The only camera that had so many bodies made that the actual mold broke! I mean, who didn't own/have/learn on a K-1000 if they were introduced to photography in the late 80's and early 90's.<br>

I also would like to nominate the duo of the Nikon F3HP WITH the MD-4 motor drive! That was a tank of a camera and talk about a work horse ...<br>

So many great cameras throughout the years, I can't wait to see what other members think as well on this subject.</p>

<p>I'd like to nominate the Olympus XA series.</p>

<p>They get a lot of air time in the Classic Manual Camera forum, but I think that because they have a battery and exposure automation, they'd go here.</p>

<p>An XA was my first 35mm camera, and I still have it. I have its descendant, the Olympus Stylus Epic, a weather-proof 35mm camera. And I have an Olympus Stylus Tough 300, a 12 MP submersible digital camera. I keep thinking about writing an article comparing all 3, how there's always been a market for a small versatile camera that takes great photos.</p>

<p>It probably does not get the respect that it deserves, but the Nikon N8008 is a great camera, with its high-eyepoint viewfinder, and use of AA batteries, not those CR-series things. Plus, it meters and works fine with AI-manual and most AF lenses. I think the AF module is the same as in the mighty F4. </p>

<p>I nominate the Nikon F4 - aside from the F6, the best camera to be used with MF lenses in Nikon's camera line-up. I certainly second the nomination of the F3/MD-4 and the F100.<br>

I don't want to forget the Nikon FA - a first with (now considered rather rudimentary) matrix metering.<br>

Contax RTS III - the best camera to gain access to the Zeiss lenses.<br>

Leica R8/R9 - gotta be the ugliest.<br>

Pentax LX - for that electro-mechanical hybrid shutter.<br>

Olympus OM-2/OM-4 - fantastic metering.</p>

<p>I must nominate the Canon EOS 1v. It's the most amazing camera I've ever used (and I've used a <em>lot!</em>), and it was/is the basis for the superb Canon 1D-series of DSLRs.<br>

-I also agree with the Nikon F100; it's perfectly proportioned and so well laid out. Plus the information in the viewfinder is extremely helpful. Along with my 1v it's the film camera that's getting the most use from me at present.<br>

-The Pentax LX is another great choice. What a tough camera with a superb metering system.<br>

-The Canon EOS A2/A2E/5 is another fantastic platform that I think was a bit ahead of its time. It was very full-featured for the early 1990s, and still is impressive today.<br>

-Nikon N90s; a rugged camera that satisfied the likes of greats like Galen Rowell. Some of the greatest pictures of the last 20 years were taken with the N90s/F90x.<br>

By the way, I absolutely <em>love</em> this forum! As much as I love classic cameras and DSLRs, there is so much to discuss about AF film SLRs that I don't know and would love to learn.</p>

<p>F4s and Pentax 6x7 (does the Pentax count?) I've bought at least three of each over the years, and were it not for the price of a Nikon MF scanner, I'd own the entire range of P67 gear. As it is, the Minolta 5400ii was cheap enough for me to get yet another F4s, and nothing feels better in my hands. I love the manual focus range-finding thingie as well as being able to operate the entire camera with my eyes closed. Although it sounds like a sick camera compared to F3HP with MD4 which was pure music...</p>

<p>I think the ae-1 and later canon FD models are classified as MODERN 35mm slr's<br>

but the Pentax K-100 my ricoh kr5 or even my 1961 Miranda Sensorex are match pointer ELECTRIC<br>

not electronic cameras. they all three and many others made by several manufacturers are match pointer manuals focvus. and are not really modern "style" camerasa. a NON slr like the Konica C35 automatic and the canonet 28<br>

are both more electrical rather than electronic, they work on a trap needle principle<br>

even though the two cameras have auto-exposure. There Might be a transistor inside..</p>

<p>The Olympus Stylus Epic for SURE! One of the best days I've had in the last year was when I found one of those babies in a box at work that was marked "junk!" I didn't expect it to work, but after an inspection, and a few rolls of film, it got a clean bill of health from me. It was a wonderful find! Best lens ever in a 35mm p/s camera!</p>

<p>Back when I couldn't afford cameras I lusted after the F801s, F3, F4, RTSIII, T90, EOS 630, OM4-Ti and a few others like the F1-HS, R4 and the high-end Hasselblads and Rolleis. I'd say all of those are worthy for the hall of fame.</p>

<p>The F90X and F100 are also just as worthy. The F100 is probably one of the biggest bargains in this category. F4s go for more on eBay but are not as capable.</p>

<p>Konica FS-1<br />After having too many T3's fail on me in the past year, I'm finally taking a shine to this electronic beast. I'm not crazy about the shutter lag or Tv auto exposure (never was fan of Canon AE-1, for that matter). But this is my only working Konica for the time being. The viewfinder is really nice to look through - I don't know what else it compares to - it has a certain brightness and snap.<br>

Runs on 4 AA's, makes the 1/2 metal body all the more solid-feeling. Seems to work great in the cold, too !</p>

<p>From the Nikon camp, I'd like to nominate the Nikon N2000 (F301). Not because it's all that great of a camera (although I do enjoy using mine), but because Nikon made several advances with this model. The N2000 was the first Nikon body to incorporate the DX encoding system. It was also the first Nikon with a motorized film advance. I've also read that it was the first Nikon to feature a composite (gasp!...PLASTIC!) body, but this came from a questionable internet source. Lastly, the N2000, the N2020, and the FA (I think) are the only three cameras to make use of the lens type signal notch that was introduced with the AIS lens mount and continued on until the recent G lenses.</p>