Half Stops on Nikkor Lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by spanky, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this seems like a dumb question, but I purchased an 28mm F2.8 AI-S lens for my recently purchased
    F2. I'm just wondering if I can set the f stop in between clicks. I can do this with my RZ lenses and they have
    markings for this but the Nikkor lens does not. I don't see why I couldn't, but I figured I'd just ask the experts here
    first while I wait for my F2 to be serviced.

Thanks,

Marc

2. If you pick a spot between the f-stop clicks, that would be a half stop.

3. 'I'm just wondering if I can set the f stop in between clicks.' Yes, you can set the aperture anywhere you desire throughout the entire range of the ring.

4. i remember another thread on this exact subject VERY recently... try a search for it.

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

You can certainly set it between clicks, but if the lens is Pre-AI or AI; that is, not AI-S, the aperture opening might not be linear. However, I would imagine that it is close enough.

6. Marc, can you turn the camera around to have a view from the front into the lens while turning the f stop ring? What happens
    when you go from f/4 to f/5.6? Does the aperture set of blades just jump from full stop to full stop? Or does it go smoothly?
    That observation will help you answer and understand your own question the best. Good luck!

7. "Marc, can you turn the camera around to have a view from the front into the lens while turning the f stop ring? What happens when you go from f/4 to f/5.6? Does the aperture set of blades just jump from full stop to full stop? Or does it go smoothly? "

With an F2, the lens will stay wide open until you press on the stop-down button. Holding the button down, you can turn the aperture ring and see that the aperture blades open/close smoothly and steplessly.