Half Stops on Nikkor Lens?

spanky

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this seems like a dumb question, but I purchased an 28mm F2.8 AI-S lens for my recently purchased

F2. I'm just wondering if I can set the f stop in between clicks. I can do this with my RZ lenses and they have

markings for this but the Nikkor lens does not. I don't see why I couldn't, but I figured I'd just ask the experts here

first while I wait for my F2 to be serviced.

Thanks,

Marc

Marc, can you turn the camera around to have a view from the front into the lens while turning the f stop ring? What happens

when you go from f/4 to f/5.6? Does the aperture set of blades just jump from full stop to full stop? Or does it go smoothly?

That observation will help you answer and understand your own question the best. Good luck!

"Marc, can you turn the camera around to have a view from the front into the lens while turning the f stop ring? What happens when you go from f/4 to f/5.6? Does the aperture set of blades just jump from full stop to full stop? Or does it go smoothly? "

With an F2, the lens will stay wide open until you press on the stop-down button. Holding the button down, you can turn the aperture ring and see that the aperture blades open/close smoothly and steplessly.