Had a weird thing happen... SB-800

daverhaas

<p>When I was shooting a birthday party yesterday - Equipment - D7000, SB800, Nikon 28-70 f2.8. Camera was in the A mode, Lens at f2.8 and ISO 400. </p>

<p>I was shooting for a little over 2 hours when the flash suddenly started to crackle and go into a constant flash mode. I was not shooting live view or video - and I didn't come near hitting the video record button - all told it lasted about 10 - 15 seconds - and stopped when I hit the shutter release - when this was going on I was posing a group of people - just holding the camera with my right hand - underneath the lens - with a strap around my neck. </p>

<p>Freaked me out a bit - but didn't impact the images and worked fine after that. Has anyone else experienced something similar? </p>

<p>I thought it might be static build up - but I didn't hear or feel any shocks - memory cards in camera were fine and camera appears to be fine now. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any ideas.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>Have you shot for this long, with the flash previously ? I would assume so, and it probably worked OK. It sounds like something was making contact in the flash, that made it fire off. The crackling sound was most likely a symptom of that. I don't see how the date of the flash being discontinued has any direct connection to your issue. The amount of use would be more relevant.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Using the SB-800 and 'A' mode = heavy output of flash. If you try putting the SB-800 in M mode at 1/2 power (maybe -.3 compensation on the flash,) you might reduce the risk of over-heating your SB-800. The "crackle" was probably due to heat stress in your speedlight.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think Andy is right. I have a D7000 too and similar thing happen to me once when I was using it with SB-600. I accidently pressed the DOF Button (button under the lens mount) and SB-600 started to flash continuously for about 2-3 seconds. </p>

<p>1) Yes - I have shot that long with the flash previously<br>

2) Yes - I have backup for it - but No, did not cycle the flashes<br>

3) Could be a case of it overheating - but I've never overheated it before - but again 1st time for everything. <br>

4) I may have inadvertently hit the DOF preview button. Can't say 100% for sure. </p>

<p>Thanks again for all the things to check.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Yes, the depth of field preview button the D7000 is at a strange location; I too have pressed on it accidentally quite a few times. But if that is the OP's issue, as soon as you let go that button, the modeling light on the SB-800 should stop immediately.</p>

<p>If you are using a flash shooting a party for hours, I would rotate among a few flashes to let them properly cool down. Depending on how heavily you use the flashes, perhaps rotate every 30 minutes or so.</p>

<p>Jerry,</p>

<p>I don't think that putting the flash in A mode makes it firing full output for each shot. A-mode has the output regulated by the sensor on the flash, just as ttl mode does but by using the in camera sensor. The main difference is that in ttl mode the pre flashes determine the duration of the flash before the actual exposure and that in A mode the reflected light DURING the exposure determines the duration of the flash.<br>

Under the same light and with a normal lens there usually isn't too much difference in flash output between A and ttl mode for the same subject and distance.</p>