GX Rollei Questions

george_carpenter1

<p>I bought a GX Rollei from KEH and it came with no instruction manual. Several web searches have not located

one, either. Here are a few questions from someone that has not seen or had his hands on a Rollei since his dad

used one in the 1950s:<br>

1) Since the GX has no sensor bars, what do the start arrows line up with? There is, of course a bottom roller

and there are two red dots at the top of the film chamber. For this first roll, I have arbitrarily aligned the arrows with

the bottom roller.<br>

2) The light metering function seems, well, clunky for a camera thought to be so classic. My old Weston Master-

V meter is much preferable to the built-in. Is that so, or am I dreaming?<br>

3) Any place I can find a dedicated GX (75th Anniversary) manual.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>The start arrows line up with the red dots. The light meter is quite good and is reading from a relatively small area about the size of an American dime around the center. The meter reads off the viewing screen as I understand it and for that reason you don't want to let sunshine directly on the screen when you are metering. I am a handheld meter user and generally use a spot meter but I have experimentally used the FX meter (same as the GX) and everything came out perfect. I don't generally keep a battery in my FX because I don't like the meter activating and having the green and red leds showing. There is a bit of a learning curve with regards to the shutter release. You will eventually figure out the sweet spot and be able to release it smoothly.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>1) The arrow on the backing paper should be lined up with a coloured dot on the side of the film gate. My GX is in use at the time so I cannot check the colour and the exact location but once you know what to look for you will find it.</p>

<p>2) The lightmeter is o.k. but it is kind of a spotmeter. The metering area is slightly wider than the central focusing circle. Once you know how to use it, you 'll find it very precise. I agree that the release is not as smooth as the one of the classic models.</p>

<p>Thanks for the repsonses. Now I need to find a manual. Would like to know what the graduations are at the root of the winding crank and what that little lever on the shutter release is for (although I suspect it is a timer, I do not know). Somewhere I ran across the informaiton that this particular camera can utilize some of the 6008(?) screens, maybe? It was some fun trying to find the battery compartment, too.</p>

<p>Even though I didn't want to waste a roll of film (Neopan 100), I sacrificed one to find out for sure. Yes, the "Start" arrows should line up with the two red dots at the top of the film chamber before the back is closed. I guess that this applies only to the GX because it it not an automat-type body. Now I have it safely loaded with a roll of XP-2 and will shoot tomorrow. Why XP-2? Well, I can have my local grocery store develop the negatives and I can scan and print them myself. For some reason, my local guy can develop the negatives, but not print them.</p>

<p>THe little lever on the shutter release is the lock. You can put it on lock so you don't accidentally push the shutter and you can put it on lock when you hold the shutter in B to keep it open. 'the graduations with the arrow at the base of the film advance lever allow you to double expose.<br>

Dennis</p>

<p>To take a double exposure, take a shot, then push the little thingy at the base of the wind crank in the direction of the arrow and WIND THE CRANK BACKWARDS, not forwards. This will cock the shutter without advancing the film. <br>

If the switch around the shutter button is like on an older model E, when you t urn it to where the arrow is pointing inside the half circle, it is locked. When you point it to where the arrow goes through the little half circle, the shutter is open and ready to fire. </p>

<p>I should have an electronic version of a 2.8FX manual somewhere. The FX is identical to your GX (only cosmetic changes).<br><br>

If you give me your email I will send it to you.  Email me at: etienne - at - winkel - dot - com.<br><br>

<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

Etienne</p>