Guntersville Bald Eagle???

jo7hs2

Just curious, do any of you who were out at Guntersville Dam North

this year know if the surviving chick, well, survived? Did it fly? I

didn't get a chance to get back up there, but the last time I was

there they were telling me it was getting close to flying.

While I have an Alabama audience... Would anybody happen to know

anything about Claiborne Lake? Supposedly there is a waterfall there

(it's for my waterfall guide, http://waterfalls.szulecki.com) on

Silver Creek, near Gullet's Bluff, but since it is so far, I'd hate

to drive out there to discover there wasn't one. The topo maps says

there is, but I've had maps be wrong before.

I have never made it to Guntersville to see the bald eagles, although I've wanted to for years. With regard to your other question: I assume you're referring to Claiborne Lake in Monroe County? If so, I have been there several times, but I'm not aware of a waterfall. That's not to say that it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it myself.<br><br>By the way, great job on the site! That's quite an impressive catalogue of waterfalls. I grew up near Cheaha and have visited many of the falls in that area (Devil's Den, Salt Creek, etc.)<br><br>Take care and happy shooting!<br><br>Jeff White<br><a href="http://www.highlandgallery.com">www.highlandgallery.com</a>

Jeff,

I am waiting to hear from the local Army Corps of Engineers office about the waterfall, but yes, it is the Claiborne Lake in Monroe County. I haven't actually heard any confirmation about it, but it does show on the USGS map, so there is a 70/30 chance it exists.

As for Guntersville, keep an eye out for next year, they will probably be back. The snag tree that has yielded many a great photo may not last until then, but chances are pretty good they will nest in the area again. As soon as I hear anything I will post it, when the time comes, assuming nobody else already has.

Finally, would you happen to know if there is a simple way down to the bottom of Salt Creek Falls? I know you can get down with some creative rock climbing...

Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy way to reach the bottom of the falls. The best way to do it is to cross the creek to the right-hand side (if facing downstream) and make your way down from there. There is a trail (or at least there used to be) that leads to the bottom. It isn't an easy descent, but I was able to make it with a LowePro backpack without much trouble. One note about the parking area for the falls: be sure to lock your car and hide any valuables. A friend had his entire CD collection and cell phone stolen after parking there, and I've heard of similar incidents happening to several other people.<br><br>I think I have a few shots from the bottom of the falls. You're welcome to use them if you want. Just let me know and I'll see if I can find them.<br><br>Take Care,<br><br>Jeff White<br>

<a href="http://www.highlandgallery.com">www.highlandgallery.com</a>

Jeff,

Don't go on a wild goose chase for them, but if you think you know where the photos you have might be, then I'd definately be interesting in using one with proper credit to you on the site. It might be a few months before I can get back there, and the hard climb might not be fun in July or August, so it may be even longer before I can get a shot from the bottom. I'll also make note of the theft problem at the site.

As for the way down, I was hoping you weren't going to say crossing that creek above the falls was required, because when I was there it had considerable flow, and I know people have been seriously injured on those rocks, so I guess it is a low-water crossing, for me at least.