Guadalupe Mtn NP, Carlsbad Caverns, Big Bend

laurie_m

Just decided last night to take a 10 day trip (March 30th-April 9th).

Flights/Lodging/Rental Car are now booked. We'll be spending 3 1/2

days between Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mtn NP. We'll have 5 days

in Big Bend NP.

We'll be too early for the bats at Carlsbad and likely too late for

the Blue Bonnets. However, I'm sure there will be plenty to shoot.

I'd love any thoughts or recommendations anyone might like to share.

Not to be missed is the Window Trail (VERY easy w/ good payoff) and the Lost Mine Trail (more difficult than the Window Trail, but much easier than South Rim hike for example, and with huge bang for your buck/effort). I just posted that link above because a lot of photogs from texasphotoforum.com will be in the park around the same time, so you might want to link up with them or get some ideas off their itinerary.

For all of you Big Bend lovers, the link in the last post by Joseph Allen is worth bookmarking and printing out. It outlines an excellent photo tour of Big Bend NP.

Laurie, my only other advice is to book your reservations ASAP as places to stay are very limited anywhere near BBNP, especially at the time of the year you are going. Check out accommodations at Lajitas and Marathon and at other locations. Try and stay at the Chisos Mountain Lodge in the park. The park is a magnificant place to visit and photograph, especially in changing weather. Make sure you drive the road from Lajitas to Presidio, rt 170. It is one of the most scenic roads in all of Texas and the southwest. Try and do it when light is good for photos--not at noon. Always fill up your gas tank whenever you can. Never let it get below half full. Make sure you have enough water--at least one gallon per person per day and more if you are hiking. You will be on or near the border, so be alert and careful. You will be in remote country once you leave Carlsbad, NM so be prepared for everything and anything.

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/bigbend.htm

http://www.visitbigbend.com/

Joe Smith

Hopefully, you are into hiking and backpacking- that's the best way to see Guadalupe Mountains. Go up Guadalupe Peak while you're there. I'd say one day for Carlsbad Caverns, 2-1/2 days for Guadalupe Mountains.

Take what they say about water (and the lack thereof) seriously- I once had to hike down off the mountain and back up to pick up water- turned an 8-mile day into an 18-mile day.

If the weather is nice, watch for lizards and snakes- try scenic shots with the different cacti or flowers in foregrounds.

All are great places. I got some good shots in Carlsbad Caverns once upon a time. The only catch is, any good shot you take in there looks just like the postcards you can buy.

If weather is clear, you should get some great views of the stars- try some star trail shots.

We haven't had any bluebonnets here, yet (Dallas), don't know about out there.

Joseph and Joseph, Thank you both for your suggestions. That itenerary looks great! I'll be in the park the evening of April 3rd through the morning of the 8th so it's likely I'll run into the group.

Chisos Mtn. Lodge had a cancellation just before I called. I was able to book the lodge for three of the five nights we'll be in the area. I was able to book the other two nights at a Best Western in Terlingua. We may end up cancelling the Best Western reservations and camping those two nights. No decision on that just yet.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Stephen, We'll be doing lots of hiking, probably no backpacking. Your suggestion regarding time spent in Carlsbad vs. Guadalupe is about what I expected. If there were more self guided cavern tours, I might be more excited about exploring the caves. I'm just not much of a "group tour" person.

I hope we see some reptiles. Hopefully it'll be warm enough. While we have plenty of lizards and snakes here in Florida, I'm always eager to see and shoot different species. The last time we were in Texas, hiking in the Hill Country, my husband nearly stepped on a Coral Snake. He never even saw it. Being behind him, I got a great look as it moved off the trail-beautiful snake.

At Carlsbad, do they allow photographers to use tripods inside the caverns? Also, any suggestions on shooting star trails? I've never attempted that before. I assume I just use a sturdy tripod and a bulb setting. I'm sure I can find plenty of threads on that if I look. I'm also thinking of doing some light painting.

BTW, when booking the hotel in Terligua, I asked the front desk about wild flowers and bloom times. She said the Blue Bonnets there had been in full bloom for a few weeks already.

Star trails = 100 speed film, bulb, wide open. I've been wanting to try it there too...Big Bend is perfect for it. One thing I have been planning to try next time I'm there...the window trail ends in this cool V-shape cutout that has been cut in the rocks by water...from there you look out onto the desert and there is a few rocks jutting up called the gun sight I think. Anyway I would love to set up a tripod in that V-shape for a few hours and capture the star trails.

You're going to love staying in the Chisos Basin. After you lose your room at the lodge, you could just go camp at one of the campsites just down from the lodge.

I'm really envious of your trip, by the way...I had planned to go a couple of months ago, but some things came up and I had to cancel my plans. I might be able to join the texasphotoforum group, but I'm not sure.<div>00FWAe-28595684.jpg.ea22c116dc9829686baf39ba69228e96.jpg</div>

Laurie, you are really lucky to be at the Lodge in the park. I suggest you do the Lost Mine trail very early in the morning, like leaving before dawn, so when you get to the top, you have early morning light. I hope you have a clear morning. The views are fantastic. And you get to take the pics again on the way back. It is a pretty easy hike. Depending on the rains, you might get your best wildflowers on the trails at the Lodge. You are at a higher elevation. Take the window trail a couple of times. My favorite time is about one hour after sunrise. Make sure you have a variety of lenses with you. If you can find any books or links to web sites by Laurence Parent, check out his images of Guadelaupe and BB. They will give you some ideas of how to get good images of usual things taken by everyone. Joe Smith

Laurie, I took my tripod in there maybe 10 years ago. I think it was okay then, don't know about now, and it could have been prohibited then and I didn't know. Nobody said anything. It wasn't a group tour, either, they let you wander around in there as I recall. This is wandering around on a sidewalk built through a cave, not just loose out in a cave somewhere. But those things can change as they go along, just check on current mode of operation and rules when you get there.

Joseph A, Thanks for the follow up on the star trails! Cool photo too. I'll have to give this a try. I don't know if noise will be an issue with such long exposures (shooting digital) but I'm sure there are threads on just that topic. If you join the Texas photo group, perhaps I'll run into you out there.

Joseph S. Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like some great shooting! I do feel lucky to have secured reservations at the lodge. Had it not been for a timely cancellation, they were completely booked.

Thanks Stephen, I suppose I could always just call the park for the rules. I'm hoping I can take a couple of flashes or at least use a single off camera flash for some more pleasing lighting. I'll, of course, make sure I don't block the walkway or anything.

laurie, how weird is this: i'm flying into ELP on the 28th, and will be hitting many of the same locations (except the big bend, don't think i'll make it down that far). Can't wait to compare carlsbad and guadalupe pics with you! no wait, you'll run circles around me as always. Oh well, maybe i'll see you there!

Daniel, We'll be at Carlsbad/Guadalupe the first part of our trip. Perhaps we'll run into you. Where are you staying?

Strangely, the photos I shoot while on vacation are rarely my best efforts. I think it's because I don't have the same connection with the landscape that I enjoy closer to home. Hopefully, this trip will be an exception.

laurie, my plan (and it always changes) is to quickly visit guadalupe after arriving on the 28th, then spend the night of the 28th in Carlsbad, on the 29th hit the caverns in the am and White Sands in the PM, then spend that night around lordsburg (western edge of the state). If the weather is OK I'm hoping to spend the 30th (am) at Cave Creek Canyon near Portal, AZ, and then drive up to silver city in the PM. The next day is Mogollon, "the catwalk" and perhaps the Very Large Array at sunset. On Apr. 1 I hope to be at the trinity bomb site (they only open it up to the public 2 times a year, and it just happened to match up with my travel plans) then it's on north to ABQ and the mountains around Santa Fe. In other words, I'm trying to cover waaaaay too much ground in just a few days. </p><p> I'm not spending a lot of time at guadalupe because it seems from almost everything i've read, that most of the hikes are long day hikes. The hike to the grotto and McKittrick Canyon sound nice, but i'd have to invest a lot of time there.</p><P> If carlsbad is your northernmost point, we probably won't cross paths, but it is kinda funny that we <i>almost</i> will.