I'm shooting a wedding for a couple where the groom is in a

wheelchair. Has anyone else had a client in a wheelchair? If so,

any tips on creative poses? I'm also doing their engagement session

soon - would love to see any examples! I originally had thought of

poses where they are laying the grass, things like that, but he can

not get out of the wheelchair at all.

Thanks!!

Connie

I recently saw a photo shoot of a wedding in which the groom was in a wheelchair. There was some creative posing with having the bride sit on the groom's lap, and some sweet ones of her sitting on front of him, with her dress out around her, and behind her around the wheels of the chair...

More than likely they've had photos of themselves taken before, so ask them if they have any ideas. Or if there are any poses they would specifically like for their wedding album.

We did an engagement session for a lovely couple this summer and will be doing their wedding in 2006.

We told them to act natural and express their affection in whatever way was comfortable for them and just leave the shooting to us. We did not try to hide his chair (why try?)and they were good sports.

Here are a couple of their favorites.<div>00EYFu-27031284.jpg.53b02f0dbf975da48ed8b9e6f36d8abd.jpg</div>

This is not a b&g pic but, the best man was in a wheelchair. I am not sure how to post a picture but, I posted here is a link to the picture. If you want to look at more poses from this wedding go to albums and They are Mae and Buck. Good luck! I am sure you'll do great!

http://www.shannonseye.net/weddings/w23.html

-Shannon<div>00EYYC-27039784.jpg.790e5d4aab5356f5a048cd4877c9ae7e.jpg</div>

One key question is probably this: cut the chair out? Or leave it in? In some shots (groups etc) it will always show; but for portraits you really do have an option. wheelchair shot 1 and 2 have deliberately cropped the chair so you can't see that someone is in a wheelchair at all. This may be good or bad; sensitivities and preferences vary so you should show the couple different sample shots and ask.

once you get used to it it's really a height-difference issue, not a chair issue. If the bride bends down to get at the same level it's a very particular "look", not to mention possibly uncomfortable and/or unattractive. A similar problem arises if one person stands while another is in a chair. Seating her next to the chair in a folder or similar may be preferable for some pics, especially if you want a more formal look. A wheelchair is just a chair, after all, and there are plenty of great seated portraits out there. You might also find it worthwhile to seek out possibilities which reverse the neight difference (eg groom on stage and bride not).

Oh yeah, one more thing: shoot at least a few shots from the groom's person's eye level, or below, as in example 2. If you shoot against a neutral or open background, you can eliminate height references (obviously in #2, the person standing up in the picture negates that).