Greetings from Northern San Diego County!

<p>I grew up here but recently moved back after a living a year in Washington. Since moving back, I've decided to research how to get into the photography field. I've always loved capturing images on film, but believed it would be too risky to pursue as a full time career. However, after studying abroad in college and realizing my companions were ditching me for the next tourist location while I continued to capture every angle possible of the historic landscape, plus a year working in a busy, but dull, medical field, I've decided to (gulp) take the leap.<br>

I particularly love taking landscape and pet photos, but I'm also very interested in event photography. I also love the digital editing process. It's really hard to narrow down a specific thing! I'm hoping to become a photographer's assistant and eventually a 2nd shooter. I actually like the idea of being a 2nd shooter who tries to get the shot at different angles and perspectives.<br>

I came across this website a few months ago and it's been a huge help. In the beginning of my research, it seemed like I had no hope of getting into the photography business, since I have no formal education or abundant professional experience. But reading some of the threads about what makes a potential assistant valuable to a pro has really boosted my confidence.<br>

I've started a simple flickr account to show off some of my pictures. Right now most of them are of my travels with a simple point-and-shoot to display my digital editing technique. I just recently received a Pentax K2000 so I'm excited to really get involved in putting the whole thing together from exposure to post processing!</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/jschmitzphotos/</p>

<p>Jaclyn,<br>

You have posted some nice pictures. <br>

58 years ago, I wanted to break into the field as you describe. I found a few pros - some with great reputation - and visited them, asking for an apprenticeship. I found one who needed help, and was hired at a low salary to one of the finest in the Midwest. Back then a lot of the work was in the studio and darkroom. There was a lot to learn - not only the technical details, but marketing as well. Before too long, I was out on commercial, photojournalism and wedding assignments. Eventually I was able to branch out on my own. There is much to learn from some seasoned pros.<br>

That approach may or may not suit you. If it does, you may want to become acquainted with some of the folks at the shops nearby, or the local community college, for obtaining information and contacts. I know Calumet has a store in Escondido - and have visited there occasionally, and met some nice folks who are serious about photography - even though we live in New Mexico (daughter lives there).<br>

Photo net is a friendly place where one can often find needed information. Welcome and may your future be bright.</p>

<p>Jack</p>