Greetings from New Jersey!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by ljwest, May 5, 2010.

1. Hello!
    I'm an amateur photographer who is getting back into the art and craft of photography after a long absence. I started out young, with an Agfa Rapid snapshot camera that my Grandmother bought for me. Later, I inherited my Dad's Agfa Silette Pronto when he bought a Minolta SRT-101. Through High School (a long time ago...), I took photography classes, participating (along with the class) in a town art exhibition, and even having my photo printed in the local paper!
    For a while after that, there wasn't much photography, except on trips and the like. I had a Yaschica rangefinder, and eventually bought my own Minolta, a new XG-M. I entered the digital age with a refurbished Apple QuickTake 150, but didn't really get going with it until I bought 2MP Olympus. The Olympus, and a borrowed Minolta went with me to Sweden in 2001, the last trip I took a film camera on!
    Since then, I've bought two more digicams (4 & 5MP). My photograph production has soared, but the "disposable" nature and "no cost" factor of using the digitals hasn't done anything wonderful to the quality! I try - sometimes - but no matter what, it isn't satisfying.
    In recent days (literally!) I pulled my old Minoltas from the closet, and put the X-570 back to work (after pulling a 6-year-old roll of Kodak MAX 400 from it...I wonder what's on it?). I have to say, the feeling is so much more satisfying, using the old SLR. I feel so much more in control of the photo than I do with the little digital camera.
    So, I'm going to start carting around the Minolta with me to some things, and use a more critical eye towards the photographic process. I still plan to use the digital (An Olympus C-5050 Zoom, which is rather Ok, having fill manual controls - once you get to them...) for the "quantity over quality" images. But I see a Canon EOS 50D in my future, too.
    Anyway, I've rambled on a bit, so I'm enjoying all the interesting threads here, and looking forward to participating down the line.
    Regards,
    Larry

2. hi larry
    this is a great website and forum

3. Hello, and welcome to photo.net, Larry!

4. Hello Larry, nice to meet you. I am Amy from China.

5. Hello and welcome to this forum.
    This site is a great tool for personal expression.
    Have fun!