Green lines of unknown origin

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by tom_doyle, May 24, 2016.

  1. I recently shot a roll of expired slide film in my
    mamiya 645 super. I've shot several before
    this and never had this issue. Upon receiving
    the slides back from the lab I noticed that
    running the entire length of the film there is an
    iridescent green running vertically on both
    sides. As I said I have never had this happen
    on the handful of rolls I've used in this
    camera. I am wondering if this is from a light
    leak or possibly having the edges exposed to
    more light than is ok during either loading or
    unloading or storage. I am unsure if the
    storage before I purchased it but the other roll
    that I used came back fine. I also have never
    noticed any foam light seals which on other
    forums people believe may be the problem.
    I'm relatively new to this camera and have not
    posted anything on this site before. If I knew
    how to post pictures I would so as to allow
    y'all to see what I'm referencing. Thanks in
    advance.
     
  2. See http://www.photo.net/site-help-forum/00buPE
    post a picture of the slides on a light box or in front of your monitor with a blank document with a white background.
    The green lines sound like scratches either from the camera or processing.
     
  3. Also, it is usual to return the end of the film before (or maybe after) the part that is mounted.
    You could also show that one. Or, if not, you could remove one frame from the mount and show the whole piece of film. (Choose one that isn't worth keeping, though you could remount it.)
    I just notice that you said 645, I was thinking about 35mm. I don't know how mounts work for 645.
    For roll film, light can leak in if the paper isn't held tight enough, and that could show up on the edges. There could be leaks of humidity, or other vapors, through the edges and affecting the film, though I don't know of any such stories.
    Is it uniform over the length of the roll, and equal on the two sides?
     
  4. It isn't exactly equal as far as amount but it is the same colour and yes it uniform over the length of the roll. I'll see if I can find a way to post one or two of them. Thanks for your responses.
    00dxz0-563323884.jpeg
     
  5. Is that picture showing up for anybody else?
     
  6. The green bands across each end of the posted image are light leaks. Being you were using a 6cm x 4.5cm format the horizontal image ends were next to the outer edges of the backing paper. I suspect the film is not being wound tight enough by the camera. Increasing the supply spool tension will cause the camera to wind the film tighter. Open the back in subdued light, your body shadow should be sufficient.
    Before removing the exposed roll from the camera put pressure on the take up spool and pull on the end of the backing paper until taught then roll up in camera. Avoid exposing the exposed roll to bright light.
     
  7. 95% sure you have Fat Roll syndrome as said. The light is leaking in from the edges. The other 5% says it could be a leaky back.
     
  8. Would both of you guess that loading and unloading in the dark would solve this issue? Or do you suspect that I would
    need to take my camera for a repair of some type?
     
  9. Loading/unloading in low light/dark will help but if the film is winding loosely then you will still get the light leak when handled at the lab or any place else the exposed roll has to be handled in light before processing.
    Looking at an online owners manual I think the film advance is a clutch system therefore it should be checked by a technician to verify its correct. If the spacing is uneven by .5mm or more then the film holder/back needs servicing. Normal film spacing should be around 2mm between frames.
     
  10. Just to be sure, make sure that the paper is tight, but not too tight.
    It is possible to get it so tight that the pressure on the film causes bad effects.
    Normally, keeping the roll out of direct sunlight, as above, even shade from your body should do it, is fine. Depending on how the roll comes out of the camera, sometimes you have to be a little careful to keep it from loosening too much.
     
  11. I had developed another roll. Thought I was shooting regular but the realized I shot another roll of the expired slide film. From the same batch I'm pretty sure. This time it can back with purple where the green was. And because it was cross processed it was grainier. Could that have caused the green to go purple? I'm so frustrated with this situation. I really don't want to "waste" a roll but I think I'm going to have to do this to see if it's the camera, developer, or film.
    00dzUt-563587584.jpeg
     

Share This Page