Greek weddings

stacy

We're doing a greek wedding this Saturday and it's going to be so

fun! I was just reading the brides timeline and there are so many

little traditions- like filling her shoes with money and dancing

with a pig and a giant loaf of bread and a million other things.

Does anyone have any links or photos from a greek wedding? I don't

recall ever seeing one and I need to get my thoughts in order for

this.

Thanks!

If you have any allergies take a pill before hand. The incense in the church can be a bit overwhelming. Check with the priest ahead of time, but the one I used to be friends with (he passed away a few years ago) was pretty easy going about pictures during the ceremony. There'll be a lot of fast Greek dancing at the reception with great photo ops. The food is fantastic and the pastries even better. A lot of Greek Orthodox churches have an annual Greek Festival, and they'll need photos to give to the newspapers and use in their own newsletter and website, as well as for promoting the following year's festival. This could be a great opportunity to become known in the local Greek community and pick up future business. Just be careful that you don't gain 30 pounds eating all those honey dripping pastries!

Ha- My best friend in elementary school lived down the street from a Greek church and every year we would spend days at Greek fest- eating honey puffs and gyros (sneaking wine) and dancing like crazy. This wedding is about a 3 hour drive though so I'm not sure how much repeat business we'll get from it- but it will be fun!

There are 3 significant parts to the Orthodox ceremony.<br>

1. Exchange of the rings<br>

2. Exchange of the crowns<br>

3. Dance around the table<br>

Make sure you capture these moments. One thing you must <u>never</u> do, is get between the Alter & the Priest, always walk the long way around, i.e. behind the B&G. If you are after more specifics (I'm G.O. myself) drop me an e-mail.<br>

Good luck & enjoy.

OMG Stacy, you and Mary are gonna have such a blast! Just go with the flow, stick close to the M&MC, and you will so easily be caught up in the celebration. Don't worry too much about traditions. The M&MC will help you through that easily enough.

(And I suspect there will be less gyros then you think, but learn to say "OPA!" It's important not to yell it, but don't just say it either. One properly rouses it from the gut!)

Thanks John and Jon :)

The bride has given us a very complete timeline with all the little traditions highlighted as well as the ceremony rules so I think we'll be ok with that. I just thought somebody might have some photos to share.

We are going to have fun! I'm going to have to leave at about 5:30 am to get there on time though and we have a wedding on Friday- that was not good planning on our part!

hey stacy-

Being Greek- ( not religiously, but have definetly got the family from My Big Fat Greek

Wedding ;) ) My first greek wedding was awesome- the church was small and I was up in

a pulpit style box taking all the photos which was both good and bad. You're lucky you

have two shooters- one from the rear- one from the front of the church. As before-

exchange of rings, crowns, and walk/dance around the altar table are the three most

important parts. I do have photos but not here :) Just let us know how it goes and be

prepared to dance later. I suggest breaking into the middle of the circle and taking photos

of people looking in and dancing. It's great fun and the food is to die for. ( btw: I have a

great baklava recipe if anyone is interested- grandma's specialty.... ;) ) OPA!!! oh yeah-

no Ouzo that night! Guaranteed someone will offer you it, and even if you're a seasoned

drinker it'll knock you out after a couple shots....