Greater Noise Generated by larger D700 mirror/shutter.

frank_skomial

<p>This is just an observation.</p>

<p>Shooting in a quiet museum with D700 and D300S, I notice significant diffrence in noise generated by the mirror and shutter of both cameras.</p>

<p>The D700 is louder and disturbing others more than the D300S. A mirror-less camera would be perfect for quiet pictures. We need FX format mirror less camera that uses Nikkor D/G lenses and supports full automation and all metering/focusing/flash modes.</p>

<p>Though, nothing compares to the noise generated by the Pentad 6x7 mirror, that can scare off birds from surrounding trees in a park.</p>

<p>The Bronica S2A had the loudest mirror slap of any SLR I've ever seen. Truly a seismic slap if there ever was one. Mamiya RB67 had a nice soft thwack! sound when I'd release the shutter. Hasselblad is not too bad either. Much prefer the Rolleiflex for this reason, no mirror to make noise.<br>

I remember when I "upgraded" from the D300 to the D700, and the distinctly sharper and louder mirror slap sound that came with it. It didn't bother me, I got used to it, but now I'm a D300 shooter again (prefer the image quality at ISO 200 among other things) and the softer mirror slap sound is much nicer. Shot inside the British Museum with it and never felt it was too loud.</p>

<p>For the same money, you could get an used Leica M8 - not quite full frame, but adequate for the job. The M8 will use any Leica lens made since 1956 (except the collapsible versions), which are surprisingly affordable on the used market. Two or three lenses would make a versatile kit, and would fit in a small fanny pack or pocket (most museums won't allow bags). As a bonus, you could look rich on a budget ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's because with each actuation, noise is sucked out of the sensor and disipated as mechanical noise. I would consider that a fair trade. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I like that idea. It would be extremely cool (and strange) if that could actually work.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I've not explored silent mode on the D3s yet, but it seems to be quieter than the D3 anyway (unless quite mode is the default?), or is it the age of my ears?!<br>

BTW several by standers have commented on the machine-gun fire coming from my D3 at fashion shows - they really liked it. But its nothing compared to my old F3 with MD-4 :-)</p>