Great SD880IS feature

alfarmer

I wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade or not until I found out it comes with an AEL feature. That's the #1

"Manual" feature I use on my dSLR (because the computer NEVER gets exposure right) and that feature alone is

worth the upgrade from my SD700IS.

The SD880IS has a ton of other stuff too, most notably 28mm, but I wanted to let everyone know about this feature

because it's so useful and in case it's a choice factor for others.

ALF

Has the 28mm end of the zoom gotten any better? The SD800is has enough distortion on the wide end you can suffer from motion sickness looking at the bent lines.

I do agree, the AE lock, used in conjunction with the metering pattern options and exposure compensation are great features that should allow someone with an idea of what they are doing to get some great shots.....that lens though....hopefully they've done something to upgrade it from prior models.

Imaging Resource has an article updating the Panasonic LX3 review. The Leica-designed lens on that camera actually has a fair amount of distortion. The distortion is corrected in the camera when it shoots jpegs. When you shoot RAW files, the Silkypix converter that is provided with the camera also automatically corrects the distortion. Imaging Resource was a bit put off by this. They felt that the photographer should be given the option to correct the distortion when processing the RAW files. The software doesn't let you see the distortion that is produced by the lens, which is a convenience for many, but which also masks the truth of the lens' performance. The Leica M8 also uses in-camera software to optimize images when the camera is used with coded lenses. I think that we will continue to see more use of in-camera correction as the processors become more powerful.