GRD11 ....So much to like about it!

Bought a GRD11 a couple of weeks ago to replace my GRD. Worth buying for the

improved .dng write speed alone. I like the camera and I'm happy with the

upgrade (apart from "Made in China" on the base).

Posted a couple of images from first use on my blog, if anyone is interested.

www.lordofthecrinkles.blogspot.com

"apart from "Made in China" on the base"

What's wrong with that? My Olympus E-410 is made in China and it's a wonderful camera. If you have something you like so much, wouldn't it make more sense that it increases your respect?

I think products, like people, are better judged as individuals than on some usually denigrating stereotype.

Apart from the faster raw speed and a few more pixels, what are the main differences (benefits) in use against the old GRD? I think the toggle switch is a step backwards from the rear wheel in GRD. But the two 'my modes' on the operation wheel are a sure improvement. Anything else I am missing? I have the GRD and am considering an upgrade as well.

I cannot comment on the differences with GRD. I only have the new version: it is great!<br>

I simply love this little camera. Fast in use and very nice quality. OK, it is not a Leica M8 or a medium format. But for what it is meant it is a pleasure to use.<br>

Just like I had my Minox 35 in my pocket all the time when I used film, I will now have my Ricoh GRD II in my pocket :-)<br>

That it is made in China does not bother me. I actually probably saved a few dollars/euros.<br>

All this to say a review would make sense for those who wounder what that little camera is for!<br>

<br>

All the best for this new year!<br>

<br>

Lenny<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.afimage.com">AF<i>image</i>.com</a>

Many thanks, Michael S, for clearing up the pedantry on my behalf. Of course I refer to the GRDII (two) and not the GRD11 (eleven)! :-D

The point I'm making is that the new camera is a useful upgrade for existing GRD users or anyone looking for a compact camera that can be anything the user wants it to be, whether it be a simple point and shoot "notebook" camera, or a creative tool capable of producing quality images with plenty of scope for operator control.

If you like the GRD, you'll like the GRDII more.

Can you please elaborate. I have the GRD. I know what it can do. You have now said two times that the GRD2 is significantly better than the GRD. I would like to know in what respect, apart from the well known raw writing speed. In my opinion, GX100 would offer some real benefits as a second camera for someone who already has the GRD, and it has the same raw writing speed as GRD2. I am trying to decide between the two, and I would like some details.

The increased resolution of the GRDII is noticeable, the metering (I usually use centre-weighted) and the auto white balance seem to be more consistent than with the GRD. The "My Settings" option is very useful if you take the time to get to know the camera and what you want from it. The real benefit is in the improved writing speed (but arguably should not have needed to be improved in the first place!). It is more like the camera that the GRD should have been from the outset. You could probably spend all day discussing buttons and toggle switches, I just live with them. What ends up on my Macintosh is what matters to me and the GRDII does it a bit better than the GRD does, in my opinion. I bought into the GRD originally because I wanted a quality lightweight compact camera with genuine wide-angle capability to carry alongside my heavy panoramic gear in the hills. I use the wide angle converter on the GRD/II as standard.

Steve, handsome images. However...I was ready to buy a GRDII on Monday when I realized that all the images I've seen online totally lacked shadow detail...

...and the color images (Flickr) that I found were not as good as other high-end digicams (G7, Fuji f30)...contrasty, not smooth, muddled-looking tonally.

Can you point to some links that show otherwise? I'd prefer the esoteric status of Ricoh Vs Canon, but what I actually need is a camera :-)

On Monday I froze the Ricoh purchase and, as a workaround for a current project, I'm awaiting a Hexar AF (sort of digital...will shoot XP2/C-41 and use minilab scans for proofs)

Ultimately, I do want a great digicam.

Your B&W do show very little shadow detail by comparison to film scans, but I've not seen much B&W digicam stuff for comparison...eg, not seen Canon G9 B&W...

What do we see on your blog? Did the GRDII surrender shadow detail or have you post processed in such a way that those details are lost?

Your thoughts?

"...I was ready to buy a GRDII on Monday when I realized that all the images I've seen online totally lacked shadow detail..."

It's not a route I would take if I were considering buying a camera. Far better to try before you buy.

"Your B&W do show very little shadow detail by comparison to film scans....

What do we see on your blog? Did the GRDII surrender shadow detail or have you post processed in such a way that those details are lost?

Your thoughts?"

The images posted on my blog are very low-res. Here's a 100% crop from one of the high-res jpegs before downwards resizing. Hope it helps.<div>00NxE2-40873984.jpg.8ba3daffbbde890c8043ff9c4ddaeb0d.jpg</div>

Steve, thanks. As a side comment, your hikes look like fun. Around here the challenge includes mile-high altitude and hypothermia. We share beauty and, probably, the potential for hypothermia :-)

Try before buy is a challenge in the US...we don't have many camera stores that inventory Ricoh.