Gralab timer: will the glow fog film?

james_gallagher2

<p>I use one and I built a "box" from mat board that I would put over it when the film was out. Once my film was in the trays, in the sink, I could uncover the timer, which was laying flat outside the sink, and proceed.</p>

<p>I think it's ability to fog is actually more related to how far and at what angle it might be to the film. It certainly wont create enough ambient light in a room to cause problems. I wouldn't have it hanging over my trays though!</p>

<p>I have two timers in my darkroom and several pieces of glow in the dark tape stuck in strategic places around the darkroom. (The tape helps to cut down on bruised shins and bumped heads). I have never had a problem fogging film. My timers are about six feet from where I develop film. I have heard, but not tested, that as long as the timers are over four feet from the film, there shouldn't be a problem with fogging. </p>

<p>When loading holders, I do turn the timers around so they face the wall or I cover them with a towel. I don't know if this is necessary, but I haven't had a problem with fogging doing it and it is easy to do, so why change? </p>

<p>Allen, with what you describe, I wouldn't worry about when loading film. Unexposed film is not as light sensitive as exposed film and developing film is more sensitive yet! Sounds like your set up is fine.</p>

<p>Back awhile ago, I was allowed to change film holders in the Mesa Verde Visitor center darkroom. As I started, everything was great, then after 10 minutes or so, I thought I could see my hands--a figment of my imagination I was sure. Then I looked up and where the ceiling met the wall, light was pouring in! I did have some suspect film from that trip, but overall, I don't think there was any issue with that little light.</p>

<p>For over thirty years I have processed film in trays with a Gralab timer over the developing sink; right over, it is 25 to 30 inches from my face. I have never had an issue with the "fluorescent paint illumination" fogging any of my negatives. According to Ansel Adams Basic Photo Series, The Negative, "...a digital or luminous-dial clock timer is essential." He make no mention of shielding the timer from the negatives or being problematic during tray development. I seem to remember that the fluorescent wavelength is not in the spectrum of panchromatic film. On that point I may not be correct, but I still have never had a problem with fogging even with prolonged compensating development for 20+ minutes.</p>

<p>Paul</p>