Grainy Photos

david_mancini

I bought a new D80 and am not happy with the quality of the photos, I have had a

d70 for years and the quality is far superior to the d80. my d70 took crisp, clear

photos, I have been using the D80 for about a month indoors and out and the

photos are grainy. I am not very pleased so far. I bought the new camera so my

d70 would be a backup but I guess it's the other way around.

This is from my d80

http://davidmanciniphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4390314_wuZPt#301567501

_pa8rK

This is from my d70

http://davidmanciniphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/4390314_wuZPt#257791112

_wEoNJ

Please any advice.

Thanks

David

Too many "unknown" issues to make a reason why call.

You could supply the settings you used for the D80 image. Did you use the same lens on both images? The same lighting set-up? The same ISO in both camera bodies? Are you only comparing images on your computer screen, or did you make an 8x10 print of each image and then do the comparing?

Grainy is good for some images, and like what makes a good image is subjective to each individual viewing tthat image.

David when I used a D200 (same sensor as the D80 if I remember right) as a follow up model to my D70 I found at 100% viewing a little more noise at low ISO say 200 from the D200 as compared to the D70. I needed to sharpen a little more careful in cases where strong sharpening was required. For best results I often needed to slightly filter noise using "neat image" in comparable situations where I did not needed this with the D70. This irritating noise was discussed a lot a the only drawback when the D200 came out. Over all the D200 is a nicer camera than the D70 however at small image sizes and when the viewfinder is not important the D70 is a very nice camera.

Are you talking about these slight differences?

The first time I shoot with my D300 I came running to the forum asking the same thing. I thought it was noise. I was told to print them. I made prints size A4 and there was no even 1 tiny bit of grain. Those pictures I saw in your folder look the same as what I thought was too much noise. Also on my D80 I always try to shoot at ISO 100. I think ISO 2000 would be too high. Good luck! Rene'

David, Two things:

As mentioned, your shooting at ISO2000. That is going to be SUPER noisy 'grainy' on just about any DSLR.

Also, your using f/18.0. That's too small for getting the sharpest results from a DSLR. I find that past f/11 the images start getting softer. You'll have more DOF, but detraction starts to soften the whole image.

I'm not sure why you're using ISO2000, but turn it down to ISO100 (the lowest setting), open up your aperture, and turn up your lights to compensate.

It appears that you used ISO 2000 and a very small aperture with the D70 as well. Unless you are trying for a grainy effect (and it doesn't sound from your message that you are),

I'm curious as to how and why you arrived at these settings as your shooting style. Something like ISO 100 @ f/5.6 or ISO 200 @ f/8 would give you about the same exposure at the same shutter speed, and the images would be virtually grainless, and also sharper, with the subjects a bit more isolated from the background due to the shallower depth of field.

I agree with everyone else. Why f/18? f/5.6 or f/8 maybe but f/18?. The backdrop is in focus from what I can tell on this terrible monitor at work.

I think at 1/60", f/5.6 with the same lighting would give you and ISO of about 200 - which would be a LOT less grainy.

OK, I know I'm everything but a professional photographer. But from all I've learned from professional portrait photographers, f/stop should be large - - I've been advised f/2.8 or just slightly more closed maybe an f/4 or f/5.6 - - but you've shot at f/18 with an ISO of 2000.

Seems to me that in a studio setting you should be able to shoot very differently.....

JMHO

Lil :-)

I felt the D80 had better image quality than the D70 series, but vastly inferior metering. Perhaps the camera is over or under exposing? I sold my D80 and bought a D300 and life hasn't been the same since!

I am not a studio photographer (yet), but i would think that a larger lens opening (smaller f/stop) would be more desireable to give less DoF. In your images, it appears that the backdrop you are using is quite clear and somewhat in focus, as evidence by the wrinkles being very distinguishable. As i have said, i'm not a studio photographer, and maybe others could chime in on this,but the clarity of the backdrop in my view, is somewhat distracting from the subject. Smaller f/stop would bring the backgrop less in focus, and you can reduce your ISO, giving you less noisy photos.